SIX Broomsticks Should Stick to Sweeping

I was so hungry for lunch. All that spell casting had truly worn me out. Will had gone back to reading his book as he munched on a sandwich. Veronica was watching Eleanor from a distance at the table, crunching through her lettuce leaves.

"What's her problem anyway?" she asked, looking annoyed. "I mean, who does she think she is?"

Everett shuffled closer to us along the bench. "Eleanor Ambleforth. Daughter of Junice Ambleforth. One of the most powerful wizarding families," he said, overhearing our conversation as he ate. "I can give you a history if you want?"

"Um, no thanks," I said quickly. I did not need to hear a lecture about Eleanor's family.

"That wasn't fair of her to pick on you, especially seeing as you're a muggle," Veronica said.

I knew she was trying to make me feel better, but I didn't want to be given special treatment because I had no magical blood. And if she kept mentioning that aloud it was going to get around faster. The Slytherins already knew. No doubt they were making up rumors by the minute.

After lunch we had flying lessons with the Hufflepuffs. I was excited because I'd get to see Callie. We headed outside again. Will was walking while reading. I had a feeling that was dangerous and had the urge to steer him out of the way of a rock but he stepped over it without even looking at it.

Man, was this guy superhuman or something?

Well, he is a wizard, my mind told me.

I told it to shut up.

Lined up outside was a row of broomsticks in two lines. I spotted Callie and waved. She stood by another girl. Lucas passed us on his way to class and gave me a friendly wave too.

"Hey!" he called. "Heard the big secret got out! Nice job!"

I rolled my eyes. Great, so now the Hufflepuffs knew too.

Our class gathered, and Madam Hooch, our teacher, made us line up in two lines. Madam Hooch taught us the basics of flying. I was nervous about flying. I knew about Quidditch and all, thanks to Callie, but the idea of flying around on a broomstick seemed a bit foolish to me.

Callie, who stood opposite me, gave me an encouraging smile, which sort of made me feel better.

"Right, mount your brooms," Madam Hooch said. "Hold them tightly, or you'll slide off the end."

Great! Because I didn't have enough to worry about, being in the air and all. My fear of heights was beginning to kick in, making me nervous.

"Right, now kick off!" Madam Hooch instructed. I kicked, and instantly regretted it.

I was rising too fast. At least it felt too fast. I freaked out and the boom began to wobble out of control.

"Oh God..." I said. "Okay...just calm down," I muttered. I noticed the ground getting further away, and leaned closer to the thin broom for protection.

The broom went haywire. I screamed, shooting towards a nearby building. I was going to crash! How the heck did I control this thing?

"Aly!" someone called. Something grabbed my broom, making me stop before I hit the wall. I looked over my shoulder and Callie was there, on her own broom.

"You've got to lean forward to move, but not too much or you'll do what you just did," she said. "Come on, I'll help you back down."

She led me to the ground, holding my broom so it didn't go zooming out of control. I sat straight and tense, not daring to look at the ground until I felt my shoes scrape against it again.