TEN Midnight Madness

For weeks after Veronica and Will spent the evenings teaching me everything they could. Will would visit the library every day in search of useful spells to master, though a fair few of them were so above our level that even he struggled with them. A list had begun to grow of spells I had yet to master, and half of them were spells we learned in class. Keeping track of them was becoming increasingly difficult.

One night I tossed and turned in bed, unable to shake the stress of my added workload. I wanted to get up and practice. I needed to. Finally, unable to stand it, I tip toed out of the dormitory and down the steps to the common room. It was well past midnight, and the only light was a burning candle in the corner. I took a seat at a desk, and grabbed a quill, laying it on the desktop in front of me. I took out my wand, and pointed, remembering what I'd been told in class.

Swish and flick!

"Wingardium Leviosa," I said. Nothing happened. I tried again, a little more frustrated. Still nothing. I kept trying, over and over and over but my attempts were in vein. I had a feeling in my chest that refused to give up. I would not go back to bed until I had made this quill float in the air.

"Want some help?" came a quiet voice from behind me. I spun around, startled, and saw Will standing behind me.

"What are you doing up?" I asked. He raised an eyebrow as if to ask me the same question. Tucked under his arm was a book.

"I was reading, but your muttering was distracting me," he said. Wait, had he been here the whole time? How many books did this kid intend read? Was he trying to read everything that ever existed?

Then I realized; his recreational reading time had probably been reduced a fair bit as a result of him helping me. This was probably the only time he had to catch up on it now.

"I'll never going to get the hang of this," I sighed, letting my wand clutter on the desk. "And now, it's affecting you too. I'm so pathetic." Will shook his head.

"You will get it eventually. It's not impossible," he said.

"How would you know?" I asked.

He pulled up a chair. "Do you know what a squib is?" he asked. I remember Professor Plumble mentioning it the day he came to the Hendricks household, but I hadn't had a clue what he'd been referring to. I shook my head.

"A squib is a person that was born into a magical family, yet doesn't have a drop of magical blood in them," he explained. "Did you know that even squibs can master magic if they put their mind to it?"

I laughed. "Great, so you're comparing me to a squib now?"

"No, I'm just saying that it's not impossible, what you're trying to achieve," he replied. He took out his wand, and with a simple motion, the quill hovered above the desk.

"I'll help you until you can master it," he said. So for the next few hours we continued to try and master the spell. Unfortunately, at the end of those few hours I was tired, on the verge of passing out, and I'd gotten nowhere.

"Let's practice again tomorrow," Will said. "You need sleep."

I wasn't sure why he was going to such an extent to help me but I nodded and trudged up the stairs.

The next night we tried again. I was still getting nowhere, but Will was determined. He bought down a spell book to read from, giving me tips on how to hold my wand and move it.

"You should read this," he said, handing me the book. "They use it in the Kwikspell Course."

"The what?" I asked.