CHAPTER THIRTY TWO Farewell

I'd spent the journey home catching up on some much needed rest. The school had travelled to Castelobruxo in the same carriages that took us to Beauxbatons. When they landed on the grass outside of Hogwarts, we all stepped out, yawning and stretching.

Professor Plumble had given Will, Veronica, Albus and I strict instructions to gather our things and meet in the grand hall an hour from now. The Hogwarts Express was coming to collect us and take us home, and the teachers had been advised to send our final exams in a few weeks. We would have to study on our own and hope for the best, or else we might even end up repeating the school year!

Nothing seemed more unappealing.

Will, Veronica and I followed the other students into the school, but when we walked in, we were greeted by loud cheering. Hundreds of students, all from different houses, had gathered to welcome us home. Despite no winner being announced, and the Championships ending in disaster, we were being viewed as heroes!

"Alyssa!" someone called from above. I glanced up, and spotted a young Gryffindor girl on the staircase. "You saved my sister!" she cried, her eyes filled with gratitude. Beside her was a mousey haired girl, who also gave me a grateful smile.

Seeing everyone so thankful, so proud of me... it changed everything. All the horrid, gut wrenching disappointment that had filled my stomach was washed away by pride and confidence. I did this! Me! A mere muggle girl, now viewed a hero by all.

And not only that... but they were looking at me like I was one of them. And I was. I was a witch, in blood and in soul. Amulet or not.

Eventually, we managed to steer through the crowd, and eventually reached our common room. Veronica and I went to the girl's dorms to pack our things.

"I'm sorry I got us all suspended," I said to her, as she pressed her shirts and socks into her trunk. She shook her head.

"Alyssa, it's not your fault. It's just the school's way of pleasing the other families, and following the rules in place. Everyone knows you did the best that you could, and I'm proud to have been a part of that. I wouldn't have changed a thing about this year."

She smiled genuinely at me.

"We'll always be friends, okay? No matter what. I'll always have your back. Even if you get me expelled."

Her words made me feel ten times better.

"Well, good luck on your exams. Let's write to each other heaps while we're separated! I'll need someone to talk to about living at Mahoutokoro."

She nodded, agreeing.

Once we'd packed our trucks, we proceeded downstairs. Will was waiting for us, and his blue eyes caught mine. I hadn't had a proper opportunity to talk to him yet. Him or Callie, for that matter.

Veronica eyed us both, then made a noise.

"I'll meet you guys down there," she said, before heading for the door. She almost made it without running into anyone, but I noticed Everett come flying from the opposite side of the room to say goodbye before she left. I had to stifle a giggle, even though I had a feeling I'd be next.

I turned back to Will, and smiled at him.

"So... how are your injuries?" I asked. He was pretty bruised and banged up after the battle, sporting a nasty lump on his head from being manhandled by Lucas. He shrugged.

"They'll heal. Dad can probably fix them when I get back, actually."

I nodded. Perhaps Ruby and Landon, Callie's parents, could do the same for me.

"Aly," he said suddenly. "I'm so sorry we didn't find you sooner."

I shook my head.

"How could you have found me? I was in a strange school, and that Delphy girl was posing as me. You had no clues at all leading to where I was."

I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"It's not a big deal. I'm fine, aren't it? Besides, I should apologizing to you, about Lucas. I mean, he's your brother, and he turned on us. I acted so rationally... I never even stopped to consider how accusing Lucas might affect you."

Will shook his head.

"He was hardly my brother," he replied stiffly. "We were too different. Besides, something always felt off about him. From the moment we took him in."

He avoided my gaze, but I could see a hint of sadness in his eyes. He's covering up his true feelings.

It was always hard to gauge what Will was feeling. He was so blunt, so reserved, always hiding behind a book. He'd say one thing but mean another, and I hated that. There was nothing wrong with revealing that he was angry, or upset. I expected him to be.

"I'm here if you need to talk," I said, wanting him to have an outlet of some kind. "Always. Just send me an owl anytime."

He smiled a little.

"Thanks Aly," he replied. "Come on, we should go."

After avoiding Everett, the two of us headed down to the Great Hall. Everyone else was down there, including Callie. She spotted me, and came running over.

"Aly!" she cried, and flung her arms around me. "I never got to say thank you for saving me!"

I hugged her tightly.

"I'm just glad you're okay," I replied. Callie looked at me firmly.

"The last thing I remembered was being in the Owlery, and then I was at the cliff's edge with you. I don't remember anything, but I've been filled in on how much time passed... I might have to repeat the year."

My eyes widened.

"Oh no!" I said.

"But... Professor McGonagall is leading some tutoring session after classes, leading up to the exams. All the students affected by the amulet are being encouraged to attend, so maybe I'll pass with some extra study."

"I have faith that you will," I replied. "You're such a smart girl, Callie."

I gave her one last hug, and then she bid us all goodbye and went off to her common room. Professor Plumble arrived with Hagrid, and they led us out of the school and down to the station, where the train was awaiting us.

I took one final look at Hogwarts before climbing aboard, and a sense of homesickness came over me. But I pushed it down to the depths of my stomach, and told myself to be strong. Because I'd be back soon enough.

I'd be back stronger than ever before.

***

Book two will be up soon!