Chapter 13

Miranda's pov

Jason's putting on a show with his guitar, playing Alabama hits. He pats his leg to the beat. Kasi who's six is dancing and she's adorable. I'm clapping to the beat of Tennessee river. He stands up and sings it loudly. I laugh. He holds a hand out to me and pulls me up. Me and Kasi both dance with Jason singing. He laughs and ejects the CD. "Ok girls how about some Charlie Daniels?" Kasi jumps off the couch and screams yes.

Jason's pov

With the music stopped, I can hear my parents talking. And what they're saying makes my hands freeze. "She can't stay here forever. Maybe we should get the police involved." Dad says. I shakily put the CD up and get the other one out. "I'll be right back." I say, walking to the kitchen door to hear better. "But what if she gets taken away by social services? That'll crush Jason." Mom argues. "I don't care. They need to be locked up. She isn't our responsibility anyway! I never approved of her moving in." My hands start to sweat from fear. What do I do? She'll get taken away! I can't let that happen!! I glance back and she's clapping and singing to the music with Kasi. She's so happy here! Why ruin that?! "You can be so insensitive sometimes! You don't even care about that girl do you?" "Get off it! Don't try to blame this on me!" "Fine but YOU can tell you son, that YOU'RE kicking his girlfriend out." "No! Don't stop fighting mom." I whisper. "Fine." Shit! I open the kitchen door. They both spin around surprised. "Don't even bother. I heard everything." Mom glares at dad but he holds firm. He's not gonna change his mind. "What do we do now?" "Tell her she's going to the cops or she's going home." What the hell?! "What's wrong with you?! She's too scared to go to the cops. And she can't go home. Her brothers will end up killing her!" Mom's super mad too. "Go tell her to pack her things." Dad says. My hands are shaking with not just fear but anger too. "You don't have a heart." I gripe, stomping out.

Miranda's pov

Jason turns the music off. Kasi protests but I know something is wrong with him. I stand up. "What's wrong?" He stays quiet, staring at the ground. "Jason-" "My dad's a selfish ass that's what's wrong!" He snaps. Huh? He walks to his room and I follow. "What's going on?" "He says ya can't stay here." My eyes go wide. "B-But w-where would I go?" I gasp, trying not to freak out. "My uncle that's your only shot." He says, quickly. No. I'm not going back there. Sure I was safe and happy. But not as happy as I was with him. "No. I can't. I couldn't stand not seeing you every day. I-I'll just go back home and we'll still see each other at school." He stares at the floor silent, his hands in fists. I grab his tense hand. "You call me every night. So I know you're still okay." He says, hugging me. "I promise, Jason. I love you." I say. "I love you too."

*later*

Jason's pov

Her dad pulls up in front of our house. She hugs me and pats Kasi's head. "Don't forget me little girl." She smiles and hugs her. "Never. When can we play again?" I can tell she's trying not to cry. My nails dig into the palms of my hands. "I... Don't know." "Bye, Jason." "Bye, hun. See ya at school tomorrow." She smiles and waves.

Miranda's pov

"Take a long look, you won't ever see that boy again." Dad growls outraged. He won't stop me. "You're not going to school anymore either." My eyes go wide. "What?! But I gotta go to school!" He stays silent and glares out the windshield. I wrap my hand around the phone Jason bought me. If they knew I had it, they'd kill me! We get home, dad grabs my neck and drags me inside. "Room now and don't bother coming out for dinner. You're grounded from that too." I nod and walk to my room, fear filling me.

Jason's pov

She texts me.

M: THEY SAY I CAN'T GO TO SCHOOL!

J: What?! Then how are you gonna get an education?!

M: they say I'm grounded for running away! I know they're gonna do something horrible tomorrow! I'm so scared!

My hands are shaking with anger. I run downstairs and grab my boots. "What are you doing?" Mom asks. "None of you damn business." I grumble, pocketing my phone. I open the door. It's thunderstorming out there. I grab my slicker. "Don't you dare go out there!" Dad shouts. "Screw you! I've gotta go save my girl from certain death!" My dad grabs my shoulder. "You can't go out in a storm like that!" Mom gasps. "I wouldn't have to if you guys didn't kick her out!" Kasi hugs my legs. "Don't go Jay." She whimpers. "I have to go. I have to save Miranda." "You need to stop being Mr. Hero!" Dad shouts, slamming the door. Tears push at my eyes. My phone buzzes.

M: DAD FOUND MY PHONE!!

"Shit!" I try to open the door but dad holds his hand against it. "Let me out!" I shout, furious. "No." My glare turns deadly. "If it was mom, would you run to save her?! If it was mom getting beaten up everyday!!" I yell. "Go to your room." He gripes, pointing. These people don't get it and they don't care. But I go to my room anyway. I call Sierra.

Sierra's pov

Me and Rachel are gonna order pizza. My phone chimes. "Hello?" "Sierra, it's me, my dumbass dad made Miranda go home! And then he put me on lockdown! I need you to check on her, please!" "Ok Jay calm down. I will." "And be careful. They're pretty unpredictable." "Ok. I'll call you back later."

Miranda's pov

Dad storms out and I aob against the wall, my arms wrapped around my legs. I want Jason. Someone taps on my window and I almsot scream but Sierra puts a finger to her lips. I open the window. "What the heck?!" I cry, shocked. "Jason called me. He said-" my door is thrown open and she hides under the bed. "Oh little miss runaway is trying to escape out the window!" Dave says, smirking. I shakily back up terrified. "I wasn't trying to escape! I swear!" I cry, shaking from fear. John grabs my shirt. "Say it!" He screams. Tears fill my eyes. "Now!" He screams, slapping me in the face. I bust into sobs. "I don't deserve to be alive!" I gasp. "And?" "Nobody deserves to deal with a freak like me!" This is routine. I am forced to say this daily or get my ass beat. He throws me to the ground and Dave picks me up, shoving me toward the open window. "You might as well kill yourself! It won't get better. No one will ever love you!" I grit my teeth. "You're wrong!" I cry. "Oh really?" He pushes me further out the window. "What did you say?" I shield my eyes from the rain. "I said you're wrong. Jason loves me, you dipshits!"

Jason's pov

Sierra sends me a video. It looks like she's hiding under a bed. But what I see makes me wanna kill them! I run down the stairs, tripping over the last step and falling face first on the ground. My phone skids away, the video is still playing. Dad picks it up. I get to my feet, rubbing my sore arm. "What is this?!" "That's what's happening to her thanks to you!" I yell snatching my phone back. I call Sierra. "Tell her to hold on. I'm comin'." I stuff my jacket on and grab a baseball bat. "You're not going." Dad says, my hands tensing up around the bat. I debate on beating him with it but not with Kasi standing right here. "Just try to stop me!" I growl. He puts a hand on my shoulder. "Let me finish. You're not going alone." My eyes go wide. I look at him surprised. He smiles and we get in his truck. "I didn't know how bad she had it." He says, sighing. "I'm sorry Jason." I nod not really caring. My only thought is getting there. "Just hold on baby, I'll save you."