Chapter 23

Miranda's pov

I walk into his room. He smiles a weak smile. I sit by him. "You doin' okay?" He nods. "Im-" He coughs. "I'm gonna be fine. Doc says just smoke inhalation. Not even life threatening." "That was really brave." I say, hugging him.

Jason's pov

"Do you want to meet the little girl you saved?" I nod and the door opens. Luke holds her. I didn't get a good look the first time I saw her. She's got dark brown hair, chestnut brown eyes, a dark purple dress, torn and burned on the end. We need to get her new clothes. Luke walks over cradling her. "I know you're not ready for kids yet so Luke is gonna adopt her." Miranda says, smiling at my best friend. My eyes go wide. "No! Wait!" I gasp. "Turns out she's been living in the bar since her parents died." "Guys wait. I don't want Luke to adopt her." They both look at me surprised. "Well I'm not letting the poor girl go into foster care!" He says. I shake my head and stand up, my legs weak from lack of use. "No. I want us to adopt her." I say, quickly. "Oh wow! Jason, really?" I smile and take her from Luke. She buries her head in my chest. I hold her tight and take the IV out of my arm. I hold Miranda's hand with the other. We both smile at each other. "Jay we're gonna be parents." She whispers. I smile and wipe the tear from her eye. "Yeah we sure are baby." I say, kissing her gently. She falls asleep in my arms, sucking her thumb. "Do we know her name?" I ask them. "Hazel Amelia." I smile down at the little girl. "Hazel Amelia." I like the sound of that on my tongue. "Yeah. Little Hazel Amelia Aldean." I say, smiling. Miranda kisses my cheek. Luke leaves and comes back with the adoption papers. I look at my loving wife and lay the beautiful little girl in the bed. She curls into a ball. Miranda signs her name. I sign mine and Hazel's. "This is really happening." She gasps, grabbing my hand, tears in her eyes. I nod and kiss her lips. "I know I said I wasn't ready." She smiles. "I was lying." "Oh Jason, I love you." "I love you too Miranda Kimberly Aldean." She kisses me and my hands wrap around her waist. "I'll love you til I die." I whisper, lacing my fingers with hers. "Ditto." I smile.

*later that day*

They discharged me and Hazel and we go back home. As soon as I close the door someone knocks on it. Huh? That's weird. I shrug and open it back up. "Hello is this the Aldean residence?" A man in a suit asks. I'm confused. Who's this? And how'd he know where I lived? "That depends on who's askin' sir." He chuckles. "Oh sorry. Michael Knox. Head recruiter for broken bow records." My eyes go wide. "A-A r-recruiter? C-Come in, sir." We sit on the couch together. "Broken bow can offer you a singer songwriter contract. Worth four years. If you become a headliner in that four year period, you'll be a full on member of it." I shake his hand. "Thanks, Michael this is a dream come true!" I gasp, excitedly. Hazel peeks her head around the corner of the couch. I smile. "Michael this is my daughter, Hazel. We adopted her today." "Wow, adoption. That's so nice." I pull her onto the couch and onto my lap. "Hazel, say hi to Mr. Knox." She hides her head. We both laugh. "She's a bit shy." I say. Miranda walks out of the kitchen and stops short seeing Micheal. "Who are you?" She asks. "Oh uh honey, this is Micheal Knox. He's a recruiter for broken bow." He stands up. "And you must be the lovely Mrs. Aldean?" He semi asks, taking her hand and kissing it. Her face gets red. I laugh a little. She gives me the devil glare. "Why yes yes I am." She says to Michael. "It's nice to meet you Michael." He laughs. "Just call me Mike." We both nod. "And you meet me at broken bow tomorrow at nine so we can fill out the paperwork." He says, handing me a card. I take it and thank him, again shaking his hand. He leaves. Me and Miranda look at each other. "I did it baby." She squeals in excitement and I hug her tight. "You did it Jay!" She cries, excited. She kisses me hard. I'm gonna make it playing music!