10

I sat at the hospital, waiting on the news. I tried calling my brother but he never answered.

"Daughter of Melissa McCartney?" I looked up to the Doctor.

"Yes?" I stood up.

"We had did some test and from the results, and I'm sorry to say but your mum is brain dead" Dr. Kep said as I read her name tag.

"What?" I ask

"I'm sorry, do you have any other family you want to call?" She asks

"Well my nana Lynn" I say, "she's the mother"

"I alright I'll give her a ring" she says walking away.

-

4 days later we had her funeral. I cried. I cried more than ever. Nana started taking care of me, my brother never left his station he wanted to come but there wasn't so much people at the station, he had to stay.

"Are you okay?" I look up to see Brooklyn. I shook my head bringing it back down at my hands. "I'm sorry" he says coming to the steps with me.

"Some how, whatever she had done had been forgiven" I spoke.

"Do you want anything?" He asks, ignoring my comment knowing there's nothing else to say, and I cried more.

"Princess don't cry please your too beautiful to cry" he says looking at me.

"Brooklyn, I'm leaving" I manage to say through tears.

"What?" He asks.

"My nana doesn't want to live in this 'rubbish', as she says, house" I say, "so we're going to Liverpool to where she lives" I look at him he looks angry.

"What?! No! You can't leave! We're almost done with school and-and I planned on being here with you" he says on the verge of tears.

"I'm sorry Brooklyn but I'm still under 18 and this house I can't stay in it" I say. "Too many memories that may bring me down"

"No, no, you can't! What about your brother?! Uh? Isn't he coming before or after graduation?" He says.

"I told my nana but she still doesn't want to live here" I cried.

"Come on not even for at least 2 more weeks?!" He cries.

"I know your upset Brooklyn, I am too. But me and you screaming about it is not going to change it" I whisper to him,making him come closer to me.

"Your right, I'm sorry" he says kissing me on my temple and I inhaled his rich smell, then laying his jaw on my forehead.

We stayed like that for about awhile. Then Brooklyn lifts his head spoke, "what if you where engaged with me?" He asks.

"What?" I ask lifting my head

"What if we got engaged or married?" He somewhat repeats.

"Brooklyn we just started dating not to long ago" I say, " never mind a first date"

"We've been on a date" he says.

"Oh really" I laugh probably the first time I've smiled since Monday, "when?"

"Um well, when we....went to the mall" he says trying to make the time we were getting to know each other as a date.

"Yeah no" I laugh.

"Where would you like to go as a first date?" He asks smiling, making me smile.

"Um I don't know something cute, like a picnic at a park or something cliche" I say, "but I rather have the date thing as surprise than knowing what to expect" I nudge him, he pretends to be hurt.

"I love you" I say looking into his ,what looks like, hazel eyes.

"I love you too" he says kissing me.

-

"You really do love him, don't you?" My nana asks as I put my plate in the sink, finishing what we had just ate.

"Uh?" I ask knowing she asking about Brooklyn but making sure I heard her right.

"I can tell by the way you guys look at each other. I know that look cause your Pa use to look at me like that" she tells, "I was watching you guys talk earlier how you guys were kind of talking and how tensed he was getting, but it's funny how the conversation ended with a smile, cause when your mum and dad fight they stayed mad for about 2 days before saying sorry to each other. The two of you reminded me when me and pa were younger, we were about your age when we met in Ireland, his mother never really approved of me because he was wealthy and I poor. She thought I was only using him for his money. Until one day he asked me to come with him to England. I thought he was crazy, but it turns out he had asked my parents permission and gave up his wealth to be with me."

She pursed her lips together, "that was one sweetest thing anyone has done to me. Someone to give up basically what he grew up too, to some he loved. That's true love. I heard the young man, what's his name again?" She asks me.

"Brooklyn" I smile.

"Ah yes, I heard Brooklyn wanted to be engaged to you, I guess when you told him the news, what it seems he'll do anything to make you stay" she says, "and when you said goodbye and went inside the house, he had came to me and told me how much he loves you and how he'll give up anything for you to stay." She says, "and at first I was thinking it's just lust maybe what I saw from them was just lust. No, he looked at me straight in the eyes and never moved from my sight."

"What you trying to say nana?" I ask leaning against the kitchen sink.

"What I'm saying, I'm going to stay with you until your brother comes-" I hug her without letting her finish.

"Thank you nana, I love you so much. Thank you" I whispered.

"Yes no problem, but when Eddie comes you better get a flat around here, I told your mother that this house was rubbish, and she never listened to me. She thought it was so cute on how the little bedrooms were for her future little kids" we laugh with tears in our eyes.

And with that my nana and I spent until midnight telling each other stories about my mum, my brother, and Pa. When I fell asleep, I had a smile on face. Trying to remember my mum when we were happy. Like a family.