Valerie

Tommy's P.O.V:
''Val get of the tracks!"I yelled. My younger sister wrestled with her shoe that seemed to be stuck in the railing, still holding the baseball she'd retrieved. She tugged at her leg and worriedly huffed as the chugging train drew closer from the distance behind her. I've been in this dream a million times and yet I still can't understand why, the past is in the past and I can't do anything to change that.

''Valerie!'' Timber called in a worried voice, the anxiety in the air grew thick as the train drew closer to the girl on the tracks. She continued to tug at her foot, but it wouldn't budge. Timber tried to run onto to the tracks but Two-Ton held him back. The train continued to chug its way closer only making me cringe. Valerie wouldn't give up, she continued to tug with the baseball in her hand. She threw it to D.P who let it drop to the ground as the crew watched worriedly for my sister. "It's- not. Working!" She shouted, frustratedly trying her hardest to escape. Her curly brown hair framed her worried face as she flinched and looked back at the continuous chugging train as It relentlessly breathed out steam. Her hands were visibly shaking at this point, she tugged but nothing would work. She started to untie her shoe as the train grew closer. Timber buckled around in Two-Tons arms trying to escape. I tugged at my dark brown tousled hair in stress, all I could do was watch. Valerie grunted in pain as she fell onto the tracks. Her old beaten up Chuck Taylor converse finally off her foot. Sprawled across the track, propped on her elbows from falling she'd finally escaped the shoe that held her there. An almost sigh of relief left the boys' mouths. But this wouldn't last any longer.

Valerie crouched on the gravel, with dust covered clothes. She seemed to have accepted what was to happen next. With the train just seconds away. She looked at me then back at the train, then back at me again. She shook her head almost as if saying goodbye and tears were streaming down her face. "RUN!" Wok yelled. "Valerie RUN!" "GET UP!" All the boys shouted trying to get her to move at least an inch. All I could do was watch. It was like my feet were glued to the floor. She screamed my name as the train filed on through the tracks.

''VALERIE!'' Timber shrieked through tears. The train continued to scream on by and silenced as it vanished into the distance. Every sound I heard echoed through my head. She was on the tracks because of me, just because of some stupid ball. I felt my life slowly crumble all over again. ''NO!'' Timber shouted falling to his knees, and continuing a hysterical sob. All I could do was watch. Everyone was embracing each other, turning away from Valerie's dead, cinder covered body. Wok was crying as Wings crouched down and cried with Timber.

Two-Ton took off his hat and sniffled. Roll looked at the tracks in disbelief. Ryan pushed through the crowd of boys and made his way toward the body, Q and D.P followed in disbelief. From where I was standing i could spot D.P slowly begin to pick her up. Somehow she still looked perfect. Although her knees were battered, clothes teared up, her beauty still shined through.

Officer Chop couldn't believe it, wide eyes of disbelief at the scene of death that had just unfolded. We were just kids, running on a track-no one would've thought this could happen. Valerie's young soul seemed immortal, but that day, our bright Valerie was now silenced. The officer had brought mom along, she wouldn't speak- she couldn't, she just sputtered tears at the sight of her own daughter, asleep never to wake again. This was all my fault.

D.P had laid Valerie into Timber's arms. He cradled her, pushing the brown strands of hair out her face, not wanting to let go. He cried as she limply lay in his arms, He wasn't even phased that she was no longer alive. Like she was asleep and wouldn't wake up. Timber loved her, but because of me his love wouldn't live on.

''Valerie Santarelli, almost greater than The Babe, we will never get to see her grow up, turn into the beautiful women we'd hope she be. We'll never get to see her walk down the aisle, college, graduation, kids, but Valerie got to make us smile each and everyday. She found a way to make us laugh and captivate us with her bright personality and near to perfect batting skills. The Sandlot will forever miss her, and let her spirit live out in the love of ball. I was once told that 'heroes' get remembered, but legends never die, and Valerie was and forever will be a legend in our hearts. Her soul was bright, kindness was beyond compare, and she would never give up, that folks is a legend.'' After choking up on the final sentence, tears rolled down Squint's cheeks as he had stepped off the podium after he had preformed the somber final goodbye at the church where her funeral was held two days after Valerie's death.

Everyone was still taken by the young girls sudden death, the kind that wouldn't let your mind wonder off to other thoughts, the kind of shock that would make you ask why? The team was all dressed in dark clothes suits with ties sitting across from us at the front the church pews. My mother urged me to sit by them but I couldn't, I couldn't have faced them-not after this. Just to think, a month ago we won the all cities championship, and now I'm saying goodbye to my sister forever.

The bunches of people in the house were somewhat adequate. I found my way into Valerie's room where a familiar group of faces stood. 'Till dust flies' read a post it on her wall, her famous quote that would encourage the team to fight harder and never give up. Ryan tugged on my sleeve. ''I miss her''he whispered into my ear. "I do to" I replied tearing up. He nodded somberly before giving me a hug and exiting the room out of respect. All the boys left the room, saying 'sorry' or just giving me a pat on the shoulder as they passed through the door way. I knew what they meant and didn't even need to ask. All that was left was Timber. He looked even more upset than the day Valerie had died, which was two days earlier from today.

''Why?'' He asked, looking down at his shoes, his hands shoved in his suit pockets. I walked carefully forwards Timber only to hear more from him. ''Why didn't you guys let me save her?'' He turned to me sharply, venom was in his voice as he spoke. His eyes were sunken and tired. All that was left on his face was a frown, a tired, constant frown.

" Two-Ton was being smart Timber, if he would've- we would be crying for you too'' I said looking down at the ground trying carefully not upset him, almost like I was walking on thin ice. "What if I wanted to die with her?" He questioned, his blue eyes filled with anger and sorrow. "Timber-" I tried cutting in but this did not work. "I want to be with her!" he shouted choking back tears, he was still hysterical and it hurt me to see my friend like this. But it also hurt me with how ungrateful he was being. I grew frustrated at what he was saying. He was lucky to be alive! With a family to come home to! I couldn't tolerate my anger any longer. "Timber you better shut your trap, you have people who love you ok? You have a mom and dad that are both healthy-"Timber shoved me up against the wall holding me there. "Then why didn't you save her then?!" He shouted tears streaming down his already dampened cheeks. "Timber, I'm sorry-" I tried speaking. He roughly let go of me and backed up while wiping his tears on his sleeves. I knew his pain, we've both lost someone we loved. I tried hugging him before he would lose it again. He pushed me away, "this is all your fault'' he said glaring at me.

That echoed through my brain over and over, a never ending nightmare. 'This is all your fault' it got louder and Timber began fading back into my memory. Valerie's final screams before being silenced by the chugging train echoed through my head.

'This is all your fault'

"Ahhhh!" I woke up shooting straight awake. I breathed hard and was in a cold sweat. I peered at the clock resting near my bed. 7:00 it read, I groaned and got out of bed. I never figured out why I continue to get these reoccurring dreams. People have recommended that I see a psychologist, but Santa doesn't need a psychologist. Whoa since when did I start referring to myself in third person?

After breakfast I started to think up ways of how I could possibly get my mind off this. I looked at the old Yankee hat sitting next to Valerie's old picture. "Batting practice".