14: Grateful

Tommy's P.O.V:

The team and I were lucky that I'd remember the food fight of '76 and brought all the bikes. I purposely left Valerie's knowing that her and Timber always stuck together. My plan had worked since, I saw Valerie give Timber a kiss on the cheek before walking back inside. From my window I could see Timber touch his cheek before peddling off with a huge grin on his face.

"Valerie Rose Santerelli!" That was a signal that mom was probably going to have a fit about her dress. After a few moments of silence i heard light tread footsteps up the wooden stairs. Creaking on the floor boards and a knock on the door. I didn't hesitate to get off my bed and answer.

"Hi!" Valerie greeted with a huge grin on her face. I didn't even need to ask but I did anyway since I didn't want her to know I was spying. "Well you seem happy" I added sarcastically. She nodded happily and she grinned so much the smile could've flown off her face. "Your darn right I am!" She squealed before leaving the room.

I couldn't help but smile to myself at how happy she could be. The plan had worked, but it's not finished. I had other plans of course. What? It wasn't a bad thing. I needed to insure that I got into Saint Agnes. Yes, I'm still planning on saving my sister's life too but I needed to make sure it didn't interfere with my baseball future just waiting to come in the future. I needed to make sure nothing went wrong.

I needed to quit the team. It was my promise to whip them into shape but that didn't mean that I would be loyal. I needed to win and get into Saint Agnes, save my sister's life and I needed to make sure she got into an orphanage where they cared about her. It's not right, but it's what I need to do. I told the boys we'd take the day off tomorrow and rest for the game on Wednesday.

This gives me enough time to get onto Needman's time, get the uniform and loath myself for what I'd done. I'm not doing it for the emotion, I'm doing it for my future. Family first but then comes me, my career. I never was a loyal baseball player they said and I guess this is where it shines through.

The next morning I spent alone. I needed to be alone, I needed to think. I'd remember the day Valerie died. What was my plan? How was I going to save her? And after that do I just re-live my life again?

"Tommy?" I heard her say. "Come in" she opened the door and was wearing her usual outfit and played a small smile on her face. "Hey, I'm going grocery shopping since mom is tired so do you need anything?" I looked up and she kind of smiled a bit because of the awkwardness of the conversation. I shook my head no and she turned to leave. "Wait, Valerie" she turned around. "Yeah?" She asked curiously. "Here is 20 cents for two grape sodas along with 10 cents for the latest comic on Godzilla" cupping her hands i put the money in her hands. "For us?" She grinned. "No, for you and Timber. I think if you visit him you'll calm his nerves" I nodded. She could only grin more. "Thanks" she jingled the change in her hands. "Anything for you lil' sis" she smiled before scurrying out of the room.

It was times like these that I remembered most. When Valerie was the brightest. She'd go out and buy things for the house since mom got more tired each day. She'd go out and pick up her medication. Get my favorite soda from the store. She'd get the team packs of baseball gum. She was the greatest light there'd ever lived and I have to keep working to keep it alive.

I went out during the day and got that talk with Needman. I'd apologized about the food fight and asked to be on his team. I convinced him that with me on his team we'd have a better chance of winning. Deep down I knew if I joined their team, I'd have a better chance of getting into Saint Agnes.

I picked up my uniform from the tailors and ran home to make sure none of the guys could see me. Once I got home I laid it out on my bed and let out an exasperated sigh. I checked around and Valerie wasn't home so that meant she'd already done the groceries and she was at Timber's house.

Those two made my heart thump out of my chest. They were hopelessly falling for each other and didn't even know it. I don't mean to get all sappy about their little love story but that was the way young love was. Everything had and has a meaning, the two will share things with each other making their loyalty stronger. Just two weeks ago in my memory we would've just moved here to start a new life, no friends, no recognizable faces. But for Valerie now, she has a best friend. A best friend whom she could rely on. Whom she could talk to and joke around with.

My heart continues to thump every time I think of what will happen after I save Valerie's life. Timber's love will live on. Those two could possibly stick together through life. Maybe even graduate together, get married! Have kids! I would live to see the day that happens. I would be so proud of my little sister, I would be proud of my mother for raising such a wonderful young women. I would be grateful for the second chance I'd been granted. A second chance to save her, a second chance for her to live on life. But for now I'm going to continue to be grateful.