4. Movie Night

Tommy's P.O.V:

Saturday. I thought to myself, now that I remember, Mom, Valerie and me always went out to see a movie. I've actually been missing movie night. I shut off my light after exiting my room. Heading down the hall towards Val's room. I knocked lightly and she opened the door.

"Hey" she smiled before straightening out her dress and shutting off the light behind her. She had a white collar and short sleeved dress with a flower print, wearing the same old beaten up pair of Chuck Taylors, sudden memories of dad always buying her a new pair every year. I sure did miss him now, but at least my Mom and sister are here.

"Alright kids lets go or we'll miss the movie" Mom giggled. We filed into the 1970 Bug and drove off to the movie house. The ride was quiet but the old music on the radio and vibrations of the engine made the ride all the more comforting. I couldn't help but admire my mother and sister. Like mother like daughter, both graceful in their own way. Valerie's doe eyes made It hard not to be reminded of mom. It's strange how quick your life can go from happy and joyous and within seconds it crashes down.

I was enjoying the movie all though I had already seen it so many times. All of sudden, out of nowhere, a whole bunch of kids-strangely familiar looking kids might I add sneakily but definitely not in a stealthy way. "Hey Miss Santarelli" D.P said trying to sound casual. Two-Ton dug his grimy hand into my bag of popcorn. "Hey!" I hissed. "Tommy maybe you should take your friends outside so you can talk" Mom said. "But mom!" I protested. "I'll miss the part where the monster sings and dances. I love this part!" Uh oh, what just came out of my mouth?. "What do you mean the monster sings and dances?" Mom asked with a confused look in her face. I nodded in defeat, glancing around and noticing Timber and Valerie sharing popcorn. "It's my favorite part" I muttered. I got up and went to the other side of the theater. Everyone followed including Valerie, who stood next to me as I tried to go out on a whim and explain why I couldn't be on their team.

"Look fellas, I appreciate you coming all this way to talk to me and everything but there is too much going on in my life right now-" Valerie turned me to face her and whisper yelled in the dark. "Tommy, they wouldn't be here if they didn't need you." She said placing her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, truth is we're not exactly what you would call 'good'" D.P stated air quoting. "Guys I'm sorry- I can't" they wouldn't understand. Two-Ton trudged through the crowd of boys and looked determined. "Look, Can you spot me 25 cents for goobers?" They all groaned. "What i only have a nickel!" Cue the continuation of the groans of frustration heard from the group. Which was way better than being asked the same question again. Some call it luck, I call it destiny. I'm not playing on some team when I could be using this second chance to spend more time with my mother and sister and maybe getting into Saint Agnes.

"Uh oh" My sister mumbled as the curtain to the theatre was pulled open, where Casper emerged shining his flashlight on our faces. "My guess is you don't have any tickets" all the boys crowded behind me and Valerie. "We're with them" Two-Ton said cowering away.

"Here comes the part" I whispered. Valerie looked at me funny. "Kill the monster!" I shouted. "Kill the monster!" The film behind me repeated. Valerie laughed out of astonishment and looked at the screen. Casper looked at me with shock and the boys had finally gotten the message that now was the time to run.

"See ya wouldn't want to be ya!" Wings scurried away.

"Smell ya wouldn't want to tell ya!" Wok said.

"Bye. Bye" Q said.

"Adios!" Roll said before taking off and following the rest of the group. "Val hide them, I'll take care of Casper" she nodded and we separated throughout the pathways of the movie house. The boys were running and following Valerie while I waited for the commotion to die down, and waited for the right timing.

"Hey usher guy! I found my tickets" just then all the boys disappeared along with Valerie. "Oh really?" I nodded and he sighed with defeat. He started looking at the coat rack where my sister was hiding. He sighed again, this time he walks back into the theatre and I sighed following him. That was close.