20: Trickster

Valerie's P.O.V:

And so it was, Timber and I took a little detour and walked through the neighborhood. I pondered about why Tommy was acting so strange lately, considering he is always protective over me. But still, it's like he's waiting for something. "Valerie?" Timber questioned with a humorous expression on his face. "Hm?" I snapped out of my deep thoughts and focused all my attention on him. I shouldn't be worried about Tommy, I should be happy and calm that I'm with Timber. It's just a hunch I'm sure.

"I asked you if we should go to the fair next Friday?" He giggled shaking his head. "Sure, that would be fun" I added. "Are you ok?" He asked with a sense of worry. "Yeah. Groovy" I said a little too quickly. We stopped right in our steps and he turned to face me. Looking me straight in the eyes and placing both hands firmly on my shoulder he began to speak. "Tell me what's up" he stated seriously. "Nothing-" I sighed exasperated with how I couldn't get him to stop asking.

"Fine. I'll just ask Tommy then" he said before taking off towards my house. My droopy head immediately shot up. "You wouldn't dare!" I shouted. "Timber!" I whined thinking he would stop........nope.

I took off running after him. I didn't want him telling Tommy so he could worry him to. I didn't want Tommy interfering in general. Baseball practice definitely paid off since he was three driveways ahead. I kept fighting my lungs to catch up but they wouldn't budge. I needed to think of something clever, something that would make him stop dead in his tracks. Yeah!

I collapsed on the grass in front of a random corner. I yelped trying to make it sound believable. Success had struck since I saw him stop almost immediately and turn around. "Valerie!" He screamed nervously. Timber ran faster than I could blink and had dropped to his knees to investigate. "Oh my gosh. I'm an idiot. I'm so sorry. God I'm stupid." He started taking it out at himself. I couldn't help but giggle which soon turned into a laugh. "Wha-"

"Tricked you!" I laughed. I got up and started running. "You trickster!" I heard him shout with a sense of humor in his voice. I giggled and continued to run toward lord knows where. I ended up running into an open field, looking behind me to find no trace of Timber. I giggled triumphantly until I saw his figure come out from behind a tree. I screamed as he picked me up and spun me around. "Not so much the trickster now huh?" He giggled as I playfully punched his chest. He sighed deliriously and set me down. We looked out at the small river near the grass. The winds wispiness flowing through our hair. It was nice and peaceful. It fun to share it with someone you love.

I felt someone staring at me which made me instinctively turn in their direction. "What?" I giggled. "Nothing." Timber shook his head and looked back out at the lake. It was only a few seconds before he turned back to look at me. "Have i told you how pretty you look today?" He said sheepishly, an obvious attempt of a compliment. I still blushed at it's simplicity.

I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before leaning on his shoulder to look out at the lake. "When dust flies?" I asked. It seemed like that would soon be our thing. Our little promise to each other every time we weren't in presence with each other. I'd never known that in just a month if fallen hopelessly in love with a boy named Timber. "When dust flies" he answered making each ounce of my heart flutter.

We walked silently to my house, hand in hand. Singing some songs we'd known from tuning in to the local radio station. "Shake it up baby! Shake it up baby! Twist and shout. Twist and shout". We'd sung everything from the Beatles to Aretha Franklin. I was in love, and in love with the fact I loved my bestfriend.

I hugged him and gave a quick kiss goodbye. "Bye Timber!" I waved. "Bye!" He giggled before walking off. I shut the door and ran into my room. Flopping into my bed and screaming into my pillow with pure joy. I was floating on a cloud. Happy and full of joy. And all I know now is that I can't wait for next Friday.