15: Grape Soda & Comics

Timber's P.O.V:

Mom had begged me to go shopping and I agreed to go since I supposedly needed to get my mind off the big game tomorrow. I already had my mind on something or someone else, Valerie. I wasn't disgusted that she kissed me on the cheek yesterday, I wished she would've let me react. I wanted to see her again, to see if my feelings were definite.

"Here, go fetch some milk" My mom pointed to the dairy section and I nodded. After getting the milk carton and putting it in the cart I wandered off to the comic section. Something I'd always done whenever mom took us grocery shopping. My eyes scanned the bright colored covers and comic pictures. I saw a small hand reaching for a "Godzilla" comic. The girl reaching for it was familiarly short and couldn't grab the comic. I reached up and grabbed it for her. "Thanks" she grinned. "What are you doing here?" I giggled putting my hands in my pockets. "Oh, I was here earlier grocery shopping but I had to come back and grab some things" she smiled.

I looked at what she was holding under her arm. "Two grape sodas and a comic book?" I pointed out. We started walking down the aisle looking around at the comics. "Yeah, it was for a friend" she nudged me. I felt myself grow red and I couldn't contain a smile. "Really?" I asked with a huge smile on my face. She nodded happily. "Well, my mom is grocery shopping, but I'm sure she won't mind me coming home early" I persuaded. "Meet me outside" I said. She nodded and walked towards the cashier. Her curly hair bounced as she walked away with the comic books in her hand.

"Hey mom Valerie is here, could I bring her to our house?" I begged. "Ok, but if footloose comes on don't dance without me" she joked. I nodded and found Valerie waiting outside. "Come on, let's go" I giggled.

"So, you really got the soda and the comics for me?" I asked as we walked towards my house. Valerie was balancing herself on the curb holding her grape soda. "Yup, it was me and Tommy's idea" she said. "Oh yeah?" I questioned. "Yeah" she nodded. "He said: it would get your mind off of the big game tomorrow if you saw me, and read some comics" she continued. "I hope it works" she mumbled. "Hey" I grabbed her arm and stopped her from moving any further. "Thank you, i appreciate it" I said whole heartedly. "Your welcome" she smiled before we started to walk again.

"The key is always under the mat" I reminded myself. I quickly unlocked the door letting Valerie in first then shutting the door behind me. "Here you go" Valerie perked up handing me my bottle of grape soda. "Thanks" I smiled. We sprawled out on the floor in my room and read some of the comic book Valerie bought.

"Do you think we'll win?" I asked. Valerie sat up from hanging herself upside down on my bed. "Of course you will, with your pitching, Tommy's hitting, D.P's encouragement, Wok and Roll's teamwork and Two Ton's attitude you'll definitely win" she explained. I nodded reluctantly, something in me felt like anything could go wrong tomorrow. "Just cold feet I guess"

"That's normal" Valerie added. "My dad said whenever I was nervous to do anything: to breathe in courage and breathe out negativity" Valerie said. She breathed in herself and showed me how although I already knew. "That should help" I said worriedly. "Valerie, could you be there?" I questioned out of nowhere.

"Of course I'll be there, for you and the team" she added. I shook my head reluctantly, my nerves were really getting to me. "No- for me" I said without thinking. "Oh" Valerie sat next to me and thoughtfully placed a hand over mine. "Well you don't have worry about that, I'll be there for you" her soft voice was almost enough calm my uncontrollable nerves.

"Us baseball players have to take care of each other right?" She questioned. I nodded and we looked into each other's eyes. I didn't know what I was doing but I felt myself lean in. It felt right, like I was supposed to be this close to her, like she was meant to be this close to me. I closed my eyes and tilted my head as we continued to lean in.

"Would you kids like some- Oh" I heard my mother say. "Mom!" I turned to look at her and she was smiling so big but i didn't care. She just ruined the moment, I walked up to the door "Mom, leave us alone" I whisper yelled. "Ok" she giggled and walked down the hall. I shut the door and turned around. "I'm sorry" I said. Valerie's cheeks were a bright pink color. "It's ok" she said her voice was barely audible.

"I think I should get going, my mom is probably worried" she said looking down at the floor. "Valerie please don't go" I begged. "Timber, I think you need to get some rest for the game tomorrow" she nodded. "Thanks for having me over" she said, her voice small. I nodded reluctantly. "Bye Timber" she said before leaving the room. "Bye Valerie" I said almost to myself.

I flopped on my bed just thinking of what I'd just done. I almost kissed her! And now, I probably ruined our friendship. She probably will never want to see me again. All I could do was feel bad, we had such a good friendship, we were close until I got the wrong message and got a little too close. Was she even leaning in to kiss me? Great. Another stupid mistake I made. She probably think I'm some idiot. Great job Timber. Great job.