2. I Don't Play Ball

Valerie's P.O.V:

I awoke in my bedroom, still smelling that new house-like smell. The light streamed into my room making me scrunch my face and put my hand out, almost to feel the heat of the sun. My toes touched the hardwood floor as I sneaked to Tommy's room.

He slept peacefully in his bed, I sat down on the edge being sure not to wake him up.......at least I think so. He stirred and slowly opened his eyes, earning a sigh of relief that he was ok from yesterday's fly-ball mishap. All of sudden he sat straight up and looked at me with disbelief. "Valerie?!" He questioned. I nodded and in response he hugged me so tightly I couldn't even breathe. "I missed you so much" I heard his voice crack which made me cringe with confusion. "I'm here bud, it's ok" I giggled as he started sniffling. "Those guys must've hit that ball pretty hard huh?" I joked as he refrained himself from the hug.

"Come on, I can smell the bacon already" I said referring to the sounds of cluttering dishes most likely being unpacked and the sizzling of food in the kitchen. I started getting up but something restrained me from doing so. I turned my head to see Tommy gripping my wrist. "One more thing?" He asked. "Sure bud what is it?" I giggled sitting back down on the edge of the bed again. "Can I have another hug?" I sat and pondered about why he was so, needy? "Um sure-" I couldn't breathe as he hugged me tightly not wanting to let go. "Okie dokie, time for breakfast" I said walking out of the room. He was definitely acting off today.

"Good morning Val" mom said placing a steaming hot plate of eggs and bacon on the table just for me. "Thanks mom" I grinned whilst taking a seat. Tommy stomped down the stairs and after an emotionally strange reunion with mom, he was now seated across from me.

I felt someone staring which didn't leave me be. I looked up from my eggs to see Tommy intently watching my every move. "Tommy?" I asked. "Yeah?" He asked with a light hearted voice. "Whatcha looking at?" I giggled. "Just my gorgeous little sister" my eyes widened at my sudden comment. "Tommy" mom praised. This is a completely different Tommy, or maybe he was trying to be nice. "Well then, I guess getting hit in the head was a miracle for you two" Mom joked. I nodded awkwardly placing my plate in the sink making my way to my room to do some unpacking and getting dressed for the day.

Sugar, ooooooh honey honey
You are my candy girl and you got me just wanting you
Honey, ooooooh sugar sugar

I played my favorite record by the Archies while sprawling out all the memorabilia across my bedroom floor. I felt a little more at home after putting up posters and arranging what goes where. Unpacking was definitely a lot of work, the best part is when you finish. At this point I was going through some trinkets that were just collecting dust. Looking at old pictures of when mom used to be healthy, and the special Yankee hat dad gave me. I suddenly grew a bit sad remembering dad's death.

We'd gotten a letter from the army saying he was killed in the final days of the Vietnam war. I was only 7 years old when we'd gotten the letter. Mom wouldn't eat or talk for days. I soon had to forget what me and my dad shared. Like how he would take Tommy and I out to practice ball. Or buy Chuck Taylor converse without worrying about the fact it was boy's shoes, or going to the diner every Sunday and sip down milkshakes. I had to forget his laugh and how he always cheered me on when I was at my lowest times.

I finished putting most of the trinkets away but was still far from my goal of unpacking absolutely everything. But Rome was not built in a day- I think that's the quote. I shrugged and started to take out my paintings and drawings I've started when we lived in Florida. I took a break, reclining onto the bed, resigning from my task and enjoying the silence.

I heard a door bell ring which made me hop out of bed. "I got it!" I yelled letting everyone know in the house that i would open the door. I walked down the stairs and opened the door. Four boys were standing on our doorstep. They were pushing each other and messing around until I cleared my throat politely.