13: The Cotillion

Valerie P.O.V:

"You look gorgeous!" Mom squealed as I walked down the stairs to the living room. "You really think so?" I giggled. She nodded and motioned me to turn around. I felt something cold on my neckline and I looked down to see a necklace with a wishbone charm on it. "There, now your ready" she winked. Tommy came down the stairs looking nice as well and we left for the sandlot.

"Hey guys" I greeted all the boys sitting on the curb waiting. "Looking good Valerie" Wok joked. I rolled my eyes and politely replied with a 'thank you'. Timber had approached shortly after we did and we all set off walking to town hall. "You look nice" I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned around to see Timber and smiled a bit. "Thank you, you look nice too" he grinned and soon we got into a conversation about the day. "Thank you for teaching me how to bat today" I giggled. "No problem" he laughed along. We walked the rest of the time in comfortable silence.

We'd all arrived at the steps of town hall and Tommy sharply turned around to face all of us. "Ok, if anything goes wrong in there I need you all to beat it out of there" we all looked at each other and nodded before D.P added in a good point. "Tommy, that means we'll have to run right?" He asked sounding a bit irritated. "I have a plan, I managed to get all your bikes down here, behind that bush" Tommy replied. "Smart move, Tom" Wings said. "Now who's ready for a party!" I shouted. Everyone cheered. "Who's ready for food!" Two Ton yelled. We all groaned making him irritated. "What?" We shrugged and trudged up the steps of town hall.

"Wanna dance?" Timber offered. All of a sudden our favorite song footloose came on. I nodded happily and Timber took my hand and led me around for bit before we found our footing. I relaxed a bit and danced with Timber like we'd done in his room when no one was watching. Timber gladly took my hands and twirled me around making me giggled. "Kick off your Sunday shoes" he sung along to the words making me laugh even more. "Cut footloose!" We sung together. The team had joined in and danced along making the dance area a bit crammed but I didn't mind. "Everybody cut footloose!"

We were now sitting and enjoying some of the food. We'd danced a bit more after the song from earlier but we were all a bit tired of dancing. Two Ton and Roll practically raided the food table and Tommy was chatting with baseball veteran or something. Q was measuring the floorboards while Ryan was following him around. Wok was chatting with Wings and Timber was sitting next to me sharing some jello. "This is fun huh?" I giggled as I watched uncle pork chop snuck the food off the table. "Yeah, I'm happy you came" he answered. I could feel myself blush, "Me too" he smiled and we continued to watch the dancing go on before us. "I'm going to go get some punch want some?" I asked getting up. "No I'm good" he nodded smiling politely. "K, I'll be right back" I got up and slowly made my way to table and looked for the punch bowl.

I grabbed one of those glass looking plastic cups and ladled some punch into my cup. "Well, well if it isn't the princess from Glenview Road?" I heard a venomous voice call out from behind me. I set down my cup of punch and turned around. "What do you want, E.J?" I said feeling my blood start to boil. "Oh! And the worm speaks" E.J teased. His entire team was taunting along with him making my anger seethe only more. "Is there a problem here?" I heard a familiar voice say. It was Timber, he stood in front of me protectively and was holding my arm. "Oh yeah, you and what army?" E.J spoke up. "This one" Tommy shouted over the music. I glanced behind were the entire team had gathered. "Saved by the calvary again huh princess?" E.J teased yet again. "Call me princess, one more time" I threatened from behind Timber.

"Fine. Princess" E.J snickered. I walked in front of Timber so I could get close to E.J's putrid face. "You just made the biggest mistake and you're gonna regret it" I threatened. "Oh please" E.J turned his head and snickered with the rest of his team. Without thinking I grabbed a big chunk of cake with my bare hand and shoved it right in his face making sure to get it all over his suit. I flicked my hand to get off all of the frosting and chunks of cake. "I'm sure you did" I added sarcastically. The entire team ooed and some of E.J's team even laughed.

I turned to walk away and I felt a splash on my back. "Oh really, cause you got a little something there" I heard him say. I'd realized he splashed red punch on the back of my dress. "FOOD FIGHT!" The fat little kid called out. I wasted no time and grabbed more cake and threw it at his entire team. Timber joined in too along with the rest of the team. E.J's team and ours started spreading out and more people started to join in on the food war breaking out.

To be honest? I was having the time of my life. Some one shoved cake in my face and my curly hair was now covered in sprinkles. Timber's hair was full of sprinkles too, and he had a swatch of frosting on his cheek. We knocked over a table and used it as our shield and threw desserts at E.J's team. The floor got so full of food that it got slippery. I nailed a kid with a chocolate cupcake and almost fell from the slippery floor. Timber and me held hands and were trying to stay balanced and on our feet. Everyone at the cotillion by now was covered in cake and pudding and sliding to try to stay on their feet. It was a war of food and desserts.

I threw jello at some random girl and managed to find a pie. I picked it up and turned around and without even thinking I nailed the person nearest to me. The pie dish slipped and fell revealing my victim.....Needman. Uh oh. He growled and tried grabbing my wrist. I turned around and started running. "Get over here!" He growled. I kept running and fell onto my stomach but was still somehow sliding away from him on the slippery floors.

"Guys lets split!" Two Ton yelled. Needman was still coming after us even though he couldn't see through his pie mask. Timber helped me up from the ground after my somewhat fun slip and slide. "Are you ok?" He had frosting all over his face and I couldn't help but giggle. I nodded. "Let's go!" Tommy yelled. We all split up and ran for the exit.

Slipping and sliding from all the frosting covering the floors it made it difficult to outrun Needman and his band of adults trying to catch us. Timber grabbed my hand and pulled us around a corner taking a different way than the guys. We ran out of town hall, scampering down the stairs. "The bush!" I yelled pointing at the greenish shrub next to the stairs. Everyone had already left and there was only one bike left. Timber got on and I held onto him as he started to peddle. "Hurry!" I warned as I saw Needman and the rest of the dessert covered adults make it to the door. "Little Rascals!!!!!" He yelled. "Bye!" I waved laughing out loud.

After a while of peddling we'd finally cracked up about the whole thing. "That was amazing" Timber said. We turned another corner and I found myself not wanting the night to end. "Did you see me slide?" I giggled. "Heck yeah!" Timber laughed. We laughed the rest of the way home which wasn't very far.

I got off of Timber's bike and dusted off my frosting covered dress. He help get some of the sprinkles out of my hair. "What about you?" I giggled. "Oh" Timber giggled. He shook his head as if he were a dog drying off after a swim in the lake. I giggled and shielded myself from the flying sugar. "Better?" "Better"

"Thanks for helping me" I giggled. "Thanks for giving E.J what he deserved" Timber replied. Then I did something I'd never thought I'd dare try. I got on my tippy toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Bye Timber" i turned around and started walking up the steps. "Bye Valerie"