Chapter 18: Hospital Wing

"Miss McGonagall!"

"Draco Malfoy?" McGonagall suspiciously eyed him before wiping her glasses lenses. "My, it's been quite a while since you've attended your classes."

Draco gulped and didn't say anything. She must've became the Headmaster after the death of Dumbledore and Snape. He could only imagine all the stress she has go through.
But he stepped around her and dashed for the door out of the Great Hall.

"Where do you think you're going?" She called out after him, but he didn't respond. He needed to find Harry. Fast.
Stupid Potter, why did you have to get injured! Draco bit his cheek and started ran down all the familliar halls. The portraits on the walls started greeting him, but he ignored them all. He remembered the exact route to the Hospital Wing. He's sent many people there and he's been there too himself, only a few times from falling off the broom during Quidditch. The nurses would call him 'that fiesty blond kid' since he's always the sender of victims with bloodied noses. Thinking back, he could never want to hurt anybody now.--Well, maybe except for nosy paparazzis.
He finally reached the door and stomped in. He panted heavily. A chubby short lady with a white bonnet came to to the door to assist him. Her eyes lit up with joy every time she saw a new patient. It was really creepy how obsessed with wounds she was. She could probably orgasm from seeing a bloodied body part.

"Hello there,.." Madam Pomfrey's voice trailed off a little when she recognized The Fiesty Blond kid. "Well, do you need medical treatment?"
"Potter. where is he?" Draco snapped. Madam Pomfrey raised and eyebrow but didn't say anything. She led him down the rows of plain hospital beds before coming to one at the back of the room. Draco forgot everything he was thinking about in the moment he saw, and dashed towards the bed with tubes running down the patient.

And that patient that looked already half dead was Harry Potter, of course.
Draco turned a bit more pale than he already was. His lower lip trembled as he slowly turned to look at Madam Pomfrey.
She smiled warmly. "Don't worry dear, give him a little rest. He lost a lot of blood, but he'll be alright."
Draco had never felt so relieved and happy his whole life. For a split second, he thought Potter, with all these weird bags and tubes running down his arms and nose, may not make it through.
He wanted to hug the shit out of the little lady right then. But instead, he nodded collectedly and thanked her.
"My shift is off soon," she said and gestured for Draco to follow her out of the hospital. "You should be back in your dorm. You can check up on him tomorrow."

"I'm not leaving," he quickly snapped back, which came out sounding more aggressive than he intended. "I can spend the night here."
Madam Pomfrey seemed unsure at first, but then Draco went and crouched down beside Harry's bed. Draco watched him like a guard dog, full of genuine worry and care. Maybe the kid changed, she thought. It surely didn't look like there will be more bruises and bloody mess created by the once infamous fiesty blond kid. Madam Pomfrey nodded and smiled, took the keys and left the room.

The big door closed shut. Draco was sitting alone with Harry in the darkness with a weak little lantern light on a small nightstand by the bed. He could see the very slow and rhythmic rise and fall of Harry's breathing, and he was more than glad to be seeing that. Although he still didn't like the idea of those weird looking tubes.

"It's over now," Draco said. He sat cross legged on the ground with his back against the wall. Harry didn't seem to hear him. Only 9 PM and he's already in deep sleep.
"You don't have to worry anymore, He's.." A small lump formed in his throat and he forced back the tears. "Gone. My father's gone. So there's that, Potter."
Harry's rise and fall of his chest was still slow and constant.
Draco sighed. "I guess now I'm an orphan, like you."

Harry's face was half illuminated by the orange flickers of the lantern light. Draco had never realized how different he looked without those hideous circular glasses on.
Less annoying and geeky-looking, thats for sure. And Draco had never noticed Harry's dark thick eyebrows that framed his face so well...
"Potter, you're really hot, you know."
He was testing the waters with that one. Harry showed no signs of being awake nor listening. Bored with nothing better to do, Draco went on about a lighter topic.
"You're surprisingly not as much of an annoying git. Don't get me wrong though, I still hate you."
No response. Draco skimmed his hands across Harry's and held it. They were a bit clammy, but nice.
"You know, funny thing is, I expected you to start liking me. Even back in those younger years you were obsessed with my life. You thought Malfoys were the roots of evil." he hesitated and laughed. "I guess we kind of are, in a way. Now that all that has happened."
Draco had talked a fairly decent bit and Harry was still deep in his dreams. It was safe to spill everything now.
"I thought the Slytherin girls were obsessed with me. I would get mountains of mail, and I still haven't got the time to open them all. And unfortunately, all those mails were from Pansy and Astoria." He shook his head. "Pansy, I know. You probably would've never guessed. I really tried liking her back, I really did. But she was such a boner kill. A great friend, but Blaise was better for her anyway."

The strangest thing was he didn't ingest a single drop of alchohol, and he was saying all these weird stories even though Harry couldn't hear him at all.
"And if you're wondering, I don't even know why I'm telling you this. But I've had very few experience with guys, nothing serious. Once during a game of spin the bottle it just happened so it landed on me and some other Slytherin wizard. I don't even remember who it was, . Everybody was too plastered to remember. He obviously rejected, but I did it anyway."

It was really strange thinking back to all this. He didn't even remember who it was nor how it felt.
"Anyway, I think I like you."

Silence. Nothing but the dim flickers of the candle light in the lantern.

Draco sighed. He was about to get up and go to bed on one of the hospital beds to sleep. He was pretty damn tired from all the shit that happened today. And it bothered him the most the fact he didn't feel exactly a loss about his father's 'death'. If anything, it was a relief. A weight lifted off his shoulder that he didn't need to be perfect anymore. He could finally make his own life decisions now.
He held onto Harry's hand for a few moments before letting go. When he stood up, he saw from the corner of his eye-- stupid Potter was smiling.

"And you thought I was going to be the one to fall inlove with you!" Even with tubes running up his nose and looking half-dead, Potter was still being so smug. Draco sputtered. He was awake all this time. Of course.
"I didn't say I was in love with you, I clearly stated that you're only decently tolerable."

Harry imitated the malfoy sneer. A very bad imitation. "I suppose being blond does take a toll on your intelligence. I heard clearly you saying you like me."
"As an acquaintance, yes. I don't love you, Potter."
"You don't sound very certain."
Draco frowned. "Well I am."
Potter laughed at this whole déjavu, as he was saying the exact things Draco said to him.
"If you say so." He rolled over to his side and tucked the blankets snuggly over himself.

What am I going to do without you, Draco shook his head and slipped into Harry's bed. Thankfully the beds were large enough to fit two people. Harry ripped out the tubes that were plugged into his arm veins, onto the ground. He didn't need them anymore.

"Hey Potter," Draco's tired voice tickled the back of his neck. Harry felt an arm wrap around him. "I'm warning you, next time I'll be the one hiding in the shower stall."
Harry playfully elbowed him. "Fuck you, Malfoy."
"No need to rush, you kinky bastard. You can do that when your leg gets better."

Harry sighed in exasperation and smiled.

Tomorrow's going to be an interesting day.

...

THE END :)