chapter 9

Brantley's POV: by SPaige0615

"You really want to start over?" Addy asked softly. I nodded. "I need to rebuild your trust in me, your faith in me as your man. I don't want you to have any doubts Addy." I told her. She smiled then, and shocked the hell out of me by hugging me tentatively. When her cheek hit my chest, one of her favorite spots I remembered, she sighed happily and leaned into me. I wrapped my arms around her and hauled her into my lap, sitting back on my heels and cradling her close. "What the hell have you been eating?" She mumbled. "What do you mean?" I chuckled. "You're like 4 times as big as when I last saw you, and that's really saying something." She grinned and snuggled in closer. I chuckled and stayed right where I was. Adalynn's phone rang and she answered it with a soft "Hello?". "Oh Addy Rose, are you alright sweetheart? Do you need me to come over? I just don't know what was going through my sons head. Lord knows I love him somethin fierce, but he's always been a stubborn one. Goodness! Brantley Keith is the only hell I ever raised! When I get my hands on that boy of mine I'm gonna-" I cut my momma off. "I love you too Momma, now don't be afraid to tell me what you really think of me." I laughed, letting her know I was only kidding. She sort of squeaked and hung up with a rushed "I'll talk to you later Addy!". I chuckled and looked down at the woman still in my lap. "Think I could get your number? And a date this Saturday?" I asked hopefully. Adalynn smiled up at me. "It never changed, I still have the same number. It's-" she stopped herself when a text came through. "You remembered my number?" She smiled. "Of course I did. Baby you don't know how many times I dialed that number through the years. Just never had the balls to call it. I also remember that that football jersey and a pint of chocolate ice cream could cure any ailment that you had. It's gotten you through pms, the flu, a summer cold, and I'm sure plenty of other things I missed." I smiled softly. Addy nodded and blushed. "I was out of chocolate ice cream today. It doesn't smell like you anymore either. So it's not as therapeutic as it used to be." She shrugged. "How's that?" I asked her curiously. "When it smelled like you, I'd put it on when I had a bad day. I'd curl up in bed and just breath you in. And for that moment, I could pretend that everything was ok. That you were here, with me, and everything was good." She blushed. I stood with her in my arms and stepped out of my boots. "What are you doing?" She asked, hanging on tight as her little legs tried to wrap around me for balance. I laid down on the couch, tucking Adalynn between me and the back of the couch, and I surrounded her. She was burrowed halfway underneath me, just like we used to do, and I knew the second all those walls came crashing down. She choked back a sob. "Don't. Let that shit out Adalynn." I told her softly, turning into my side and pulling her in even closer. She broke then. Sobbing and crying and clinging to me like her life depended on it. I just held her tight and let her get all that out. When the sobs finally subsided, I looked down and saw she fell asleep, as I went to stand, she whimpered and reached for me. Instead of getting up, I pulled a blanket over us and snuggled in close. Content to hold her while she slept.