chapter 15

Ms. Becky's pov

Lunch with Addy was exactly what I expected. Those two kids were mint for each other and love was in the air from the time they were 12. The poor girl was so nervous she could barely look me in the eye. And she knows I know everything about there past since I'm the one who got her through this mess my son made. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they had spent the night together. The girl was all giggle and glowing with a bounce in her step I hadn't seen in years. She was just embarrassed since I'm his mother. I knew once my son saw her again he would finally be able to pull his head out of his back side and make things right. He would never admit it out loud, but he never stopped loving her. Every time he came home we would catch up on family, how his music was going, local town issues; that's code for small town gossip, and how work was going. That was his way of asking about Addy without actually saying her name. The shame in his eyes when someone actually said it was heart braking for a mother to see. By that point he knew he had done wrong no matter what his reasoning. The clock on my phone said 9:30 which means Brantley should be calling any minute. I have no doubt his plan is to let me do the talking. See if he can figure out what Addy told me. He thinks he's sly, but he forgets a mother just knows. Sure enough at 9:37 the phone rang. "Hey Angel. Sorry to bug ya so late, but... I just... Aw hell..." Well that wasn't what I expected. Nervousness in my son isn't typical unless something bad happened. But Addy was fine today. I shouldn't have been so blunt, but I had to have details if I was going to help. "Brantley I can't help if you can't talk to me son. And to be honest I'm confused. Addy was the happiest I've ever seen her today. So unless you've done something completely off the wall stupid between now and then I don't know what the issue is. So you have to spit it out. It was plane to see, from the spring in her step and the blush on her cheeks, that you two had made up." I had to be delicate here or he would clam up. He forgets that even though I'm his mother I'm still a woman. I heard him chuckle and breath a sigh of relief. "That's good to know.... But did she tell you all that?" Now he's doing his fishing for info. Now it's time to mess with him. "No son she didn't come out and tell me the two of you knocked boots all night and thats why she looked like she hadn't slept a wink even though she couldn't get the grin off her face. The fact that she couldn't look me in the eye and her constant blushing were all I needed to see. So I'll ask again; what are you so worried about?" I expected him to hesitate and need a minute to recover from my brash comment. Now I'm the one caught off guard. "I had absolutely no intention of things going that way. Hell I was just happy she was even speaking to me again. We decided to take our time. Get to know one another again since so much time has passed. We planned our first date for Saturday, but then things... Happened... Now I'm scared to death mama. I'm scared she's going to regret it. I'm scared she's going to run. I'm scared I can't live up to what she needs me to be. And I'm scared because I don't think I can make it without her. I've been happier in the last 48 house than I have been in the last 3 years and I just can't loose her. I want things to be perfect...." I've never heard my son that shaken up. My poor boys got it bad so I gave him the best advice I could. "That ol gravel pit means quite a bit to you to." I let him read between the lines, yes son I know that's where you to had your first everything. "Take her there at sun set. Pack the bed of your truck full of pillows and blankets. Don't worry about food. I'll handle all that. I've fed you two long enough I know what to make. When you get there and you've had your meal you tell her everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, that you just told me...it proves beyond a doubt how much you love and need her... Then you make her part of this family, you make an honest woman out of her. Your grandma's wedding ring will be in the container with the dessert. You just have to tell me which one you want me to make."