three

a/n: the song doesn't go with the chapter but still. !!!

August 4th, 2006

Lauren's POV

I was walking Denver along the downtown streets of Miami, almost near the beach. I had a feeling he would really enjoy the boardwalk, especially with all the food people always dropped on the ground. There were light poles and things since it was like 5 in the evening, and the sky was slowly getting darker.

Denver was so well-behaved that I didn't even need a leash for him. It was a good thing, too, because I had forgotten his collar at home. He walked at my side and listened if I ever needed him to stop.

A lady walked by with a teenager around my age, but I didn't recognize her. Either they were tourists, new to the area, or the girl went to one of Miami's West Side schools. I went to school on the Eastern side, which is the side more exposed to crime. It didn't really bother me because it's all I've known.

"Your dog should be on a leash. He could go and attack people," the woman said with a scolding tone. I rolled my eyes.

"I dunno, lady. You seem more likely to bare your teeth and attack than this little guy, right boy?" I squat and pet my little buddy, avoiding calling him my dog, because that'll just make it worse when I give him back to Cabello. If I can ever find out who Cabello is, of course.

The woman scoffs, insulted, and speed walks away, leaving the teenager lingering near me as I pet Denver.

"Sorry about my mom... she's not too fond of dogs that aren't her own... or other people."

"I wouldn't have guessed it. But it's no problem, and uh... Sorry about how I reacted. I'm kind of a sarcastic asshole on good days," I reply, rubbing at the back of my neck as I stand up, blushing at the girl who now, up close, looks older than I am.

She giggles behind her hand. "I'd hate to see you on a bad day then...?" She trailed off, silently asking me my name.

"Lauren. You?"

"Kendall. Nice to meet you," she introduces, walking into my personal space with her hand extended.

I resist taking a step back and grasp her hand, giving her a couple firm shakes. Right after, I release her hand and take a couple small steps back.

"You too. I don't think I've seen you around, do you go to West Side? Or are you a visiting tourist or something?" I ask, hoping to come across as casual, though I'm sure I sounded eager; she was the first person around my age that I had socialized with in months besides my cousin and my two best friends. I definitely needed to get out more.

"My mom lives on the west side, and wants me to go to WSH (West Side High); but I'm actually in the process of moving to live with my dad and younger sister, who both live here, in the East. My mom's a control freak and doesn't approve of my sexuality while my dad's your everyday liberal. So yeah, the decision for me to either be shunned with my mother or to be accepted with my dad was a no-brainer," she explained, and I just nodded while expelling a large breath, thinking she's lucky. She found a way out.

"I'm sorry, I basically just dumped my life story on you, the only thing left for me to tell you now is my social security number..." she trailed off with a cute blush and giggle, still standing in my personal space, though I was less bothered by it this time around.

"Oh, uh, well don't feel pressured to tell me anything like that... Not that-not that I would expect you to or anything. I just, um--"

"Hey, calm down. It's okay, it was a joke, I was joking," she told me, gently resting a tentative hand on my shoulder. I feel Denver sit on my foot.