four

A/N: this shit is long omg
also, i like the song with this chapter, idk i feel like it works a little

August 4th, 2006

Lauren's POV

"What the hell is this, Lauren?" my father questioned, roughly grabbing me by the back of my neck and pushing me into the house the second I was within an arm's reach.

"Uh... it looks like a collar?" I wasn't sure if I was supposed to play dumb or not. Probably not, he seemed pissed. Oops.

"Cut the bullshit. Where's the dog?" he leaned into my face, and his breath was a rancid mixture of alcohol and some serious halitosis. I leaned my head back slightly.

"I don't have a dog here. What dog?" I ask, apparently having decided to play dumb.

I feel the sharp sting to my cheek and realize that playing dumb wasn't the right choice.

"Stop fucking playing with me, Lauren Michelle. This isn't a game. Clearly the dog belongs to Cabello. Do you even know who that is?" he was full on yelling now, his hands gripping my collar, almost lifting me off of my feet.

Did he know who Cabello was? Because he seemed to know, and if he knew then maybe I could've saved myself some trouble and just asked him when Denver followed me that night a week and a half ago. But then I probably wouldn't have given him his totally cool new name. Anything was better than 'Princess'. I mean honestly... he's a boy, I just don't get it--

He shook me to get my attention. I can be a bit scatterbrained sometimes.

"No, I don't... I swear, I-I just found him while I was walking and I was trying to figure it out. I have no idea, Dad, you have to believe me," I plead, his knuckles digging uncomfortably into my collarbones.

"Cabello is one of the most respected men in both sides of this town. I don't expect you to fully understand, but here? Veterans get respect. You having his dog and saying nothing about it and making no attempt to return it is the opposite of that," he told me, pushing himself away from me with something akin to disgust.

I catch myself on the banister of the nearby staircase before I could fall, but not without slamming my shoulder and twisting my finger in between two of the spindly balusters. And that hurt like a bitch, let me tell you.

"I didn't know, I didn't know. I didn't mean to disrespect him or anything, I just found a puppy and- and didn't want him to be alone, I've kind of been taking care of him, that's all." I murmur quietly, cradling my probably-sprained left ring finger in my right hand.

He sighed, and I can see some of his anger leaving him, which brings me some relief. It probably means I'm safe from more injury for now.

"Your mother has been taken to the hospital, Lauren. We're going there to meet her in the emergency room," Dad spoke, turning away from me and replacing the beer in his hand with his car keys.

"What? What happened?" I inquire, concerned for my mother who I hadn't seen concerned about me in a long time.

"No. No questions. Come on."

At the time, I didn't really know that you're not supposed to drive if you've been drinking.

——

"Dad, are you gonna call the police?" I ask him, taking off my seatbelt to join him as he exits the vehicle without answering my question. "Are you, Dad?"

"Jesus, just shut up a second!" he sighs and runs a hand through his hair. There's a little blood on his forehead from where he hit his head on the steering wheel. "Obviously I'm not. I'm not trying to get arrested today. It's Saturday; tomorrow, we're returning that dog, and after we'll go see your mother. I can't deal with the car right now, I'm gonna call and have my friend tow it to my garage." Dad's very capable with cars when he's sober, so I don't doubt that he can repair any damage. I nod my acknowledgement, and he continues. "I don't want to see you until tomorrow, so go over to Michele's and out of my hair. I will pick you up tomorrow at 11 sharp. Am I being clear?"