eighteen

a/n: the above song (circa 2011) makes me laugh so much i love my sunshine

March, 2016

Lauren's POV

I woke up before Camila did, despite not having slept well lately. Last night I held her tight in my arms and I remember, just before falling asleep, breathing in her hair and being overwhelmed with the feeling of being home. I hadn't been sleeping well but despite everything, just being home was enough for me to feel well-rested after only four hours of shuteye.

I didn't move from the bed; it was kind of an unspoken promise that I would be here when she woke up. And in true Camila fashion, she didn't rouse until around noon.

And the only reason she woke up at all was because I had gotten bored and impatient and started placing kisses all over her sun kissed skin.

"Mmmm..." she hummed, turning over and opening her eyes.

"Hello, my beautiful girl," I greeted, the happy smile present on my face, in my voice and definitely in my eyes.

She returned the smile, a relaxation showing in her features that I think was the kind that seeps down into your bones. "A small part of me thought last night was a dream. It would've been a really good dream, but the reality has turned out to be a hell of a lot better," she ran her hand through my hair, and I closed my eyes at the soothing sensation.

I chuckled and looked at her again. "Did you just say 'hell'? Did my Camzi turn into a badass while I was away?"

"Just shut up and kiss me again, Sergeant," Camila rasped, pulling me in.

———
February, 2011
Tan Tan, Morocco

Austin's POV

I found myself in that weird stage in between being awake and being asleep, but was quickly and rudely awakened fully when one of the guys in my squad decided to start yelling.

"Rise and shine, Mahone! Time to get up, pretty boy."

I opened my eyes to see the annoying face of my comrade, Justin Bieber, aka Lance Corporal Asshat.

"Tread lightly, Bieber. You might be older than me, but don't forget that you're lower than me in rank. You can't talk to me in any kind of way," I answered, sitting up and already reaching for my boots. I was normally never one to pull rank but this guy honestly pissed me off. I stood up and looked at his forehead and the top of his greasy head of hair.

"I think I can talk to you any way I want to," He stepped up to me, with a stupid smirk on his face. "because you know you like it."

I made a disgusted face and pushed him back by his chest, his dog tags jingling loudly. "Back up, fuckboy. I want nothing to do with you!"

I pulled my jacket on and went outside to report to my CO, but I could still hear Justin's voice echoing down the corridor that led to outside. "You say that now, but you'll change your mind. I know you will!" I could just hear the smug undertones, and it pissed me off to no end. The man didn't know when to stop. I thought he was just a friendly flirt when I first met him when our squadron was first assigned.