eight

a/n: song is pretty chill

February, 2010

Camila's POV

"Well, yes. But it's never too early to get started. You'll be ahead of the game if you continue to get fit and get all of your paperwork and have your physical and all of the other formalities taken care of before the last minute. It would be best to get that done before this month is over. We could've done it last year, but I know you had a lot going on.

"But it's alright, you'll get it taken care of within the next couple of weeks. And the good thing about that, is I can help you with it. It's actually a part of my job description," I heard my dad talking on the phone, but I wasn't all that interested in the conversation. He'd had recruits and potentials ever since last May. So I walked past his open office door and went into the kitchen.

Inside the kitchen was my mom, Sofi, and Mrs. Gaines with her youngest son, Preston, who were new to our church. Their entire family unit was made up of Mr. and Mrs. Gaines, and their two sons.

"Hi, Camila!" the youngest son, Preston greeted politely, his light brown eyes shining brightly as he tossed an easy smile my way.

"Hi, Preston," I start, utterly confused.

"Nice to see you all again," Mr. Gaines says cordially as he enters the kitchen with the oldest Gaines' boy, Harrison in tow.

"Same to you, David," My father greets, entering also, apparently done with the phone call. Next, he's exchanging a firm handshake with the man who was well over 6 feet tall. Next, Mr. Gaines gently shakes my mother's hand before stepping back to a reasonable distance. He nods very politely to Sofi and I, and I wave awkwardly, and Sofi hides behind my mother, sending the tall man a tiny wave. The man chuckles, a deep, rumbling sound, and I realize I have no idea who these people are outside of our one meeting at this morning's service, and something about them unnerves me. I can't place what it is or why.

(a/n: gonna get this over with lmao, here's the Gaines' family pictures in this order: Mr. David Gaines, Mrs. Rachel Gaines, Harrison, and Preston.)

)