seven

a/n: club goin up
on a saturday hi i'm going to be a piece of shit and use multimedia when it isn't necessary. (:

another note i think the whole chapter is in lauren's pov so there's no confusion

May, 2009

Lauren's POV

"Thank you for meeting me, Mr. Cabello," I greet, shaking his hand. It seems oddly formal, in a way, since I'd known the man for almost three years now, and he was more like a father to me than my biological father was. Details.

"It's no problem, mija. You know I'd do just about anything for you. You're practically my third daughter." I smile at this before my expression sobers again.

"How is your recruiter training going?"

"Ah, the Marine Recruiting School. There are 8 weeks in the Basic Recruiter Course, I have three weeks left. Basically, I just had to sharpen up my pre-existing skills."

"Oh..."

"Alright, Lauren. What's going on?" He asks me, and I look down at my hands and sighing before meeting his eyes.

"I was going to ask you if you would be my recruiter."

He leaned back in his seat in the booth at the coffee house on the east side of town and exhaled slowly.

"You're looking to enlist? Are you sure?"

"100%. I've never wanted anything more." I reply, sure of myself.

"Next year?" he asks, confused, and I furrow my eyebrows.

"No, no. This year. I turn 18 next month, on the 27th," I explain, but Alejandro's expression doesn't change.

"The recruits leave for boot camp on the 21st, so you'd either have to get parental consent, or you'd have to wait until next year..." he kept talking, but I was lost in my thoughts.

It was looking like I would have to wait another year for this... there was no way my father would sign off on this. But still, it's my dream now, to prove him wrong, and do something great. I know that I could make him proud if I joined the few and the proud. If I fight for this country, maybe... just maybe, I can earn his respect, even if I can't make him proud.

I'm not happy about it, I'm not. But I can wait. I have to.

"We'll talk more about this later, correct?" Alejandro asked me, gathering his things and standing up.

"Yes, sir. Thanks again... and thanks for the coffee!" I say more cheerfully than I felt. Fake it til' you become it.

I saw him off to his car before getting into my truck. I sat down and smiled at my to-go cup.