ten

September, 2010

Camila's POV

"You know, I feel like I've only just now realized the fact that we graduated high school. Somehow after becoming a Marine, it seems kind of small in comparison," Lauren mused, talking to Normani and Shawn in the back seat as she had just picked me up from my high school.

"I feel you, Laur. Seeing my school again makes me realize that I don't miss it," Mani says, making us all laugh, even though I've only just started my senior year.

"We're going to get Dinah now, right?" I ask, speaking up and also reaching for the aux cord.

"She has dance practice, so I don't have to get her until like 7." Lauren replied.

"Mila, I see you reaching for the aux cord. And that's cool. But I swear to God, if you play any Taylor Swift, the story of us will look a lot like a tragedy," Shawn sang in a horrible mocking voice, and everyone groaned collectively and looked at him.

"Dude... what? Why? That was horrible, come on," Mani complained, completely done. "You know what Mila, give me the cord. Y'all about to listen to some Queen Bey."

I sighed, but relented and handed her the cord. I didn't really want to listen to Beyoncé, but luckily the trip from my school to my house was only about 5 minutes, so that was all of "Save The Hero" and the beginning of "Sweet Dreams". Yeet.

When we pulled into the driveway, I immediately took off my seatbelt and hand a hand on the door when Lauren's hand on my thigh stopped me. I blushed a tiny bit as I turned toward her.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Just wait, don't get out."

Shawn and Normani vacated the vehicle and went inside my house. How they got a key to my front door is a mystery to me, but I wasn't too concerned.

"I kinda wanted to hang out with just you. You are my best friend after all." Lauren admitted. Just a friend, dang it.

"Really? I thought Dinah was your best friend?" I ask with a raised brow.

"Well yeah, but she's at dance, so..."

I slapped her arm, and she retreated from me, cowering against her door. "Kidding! I was totally kidding."

"You better be, Jauregui."

"I am, promise. I hope your eyes are prepared for some horror," she said excitedly, nearly bouncing in her seat from excitement. Sure, she's a marine but she's actually a child, I think to myself with an eye roll.

"What did you have in mind?" I asked.

"Glad you asked. I've got three movies we can see, and I want you to pick two of them, 'kay?" I nodded.

"Right, so pick between Saw 3D, Insidious, and Black Swan."

"Ugh, Laur, you know I hate horror movies." I shuddered just thinking about it. "Okay well, Saw, because that's more gory and gross than scary and Black Swan, because I heard it was good."

"I heard it was fucking creepy and kinda gay, but yeah, let's go with what you said," Lauren mumbled, preparing to start the jeep back up.

"Wait! I gotta get something from inside. I'll be right back!" I got out before she could say anything, giggling a bit at her confused expression.

I grabbed my house keys only to find that the door was left unlocked. Okay no. Complacency with crime is what gets people killed. I'll chew them out later.