seventeen

previously on war was over...

crazy radicalist Tommo causes unrest at the airport. he escapes, shawn and lauren leave for like, the deployment and whatnot, and now...

October, 2010

Camila's POV

"Next week I'll be handing out your copies of Othello, so be sure to do your pre-reading and research on it. There may or may not be a pop quiz Monday. Maybe. I don't know. Anyways, be prepared." Mr. Fitz was talking, ramble-style, and usually I was hanging on his every word since English was my favorite class.

Today, however, I was doodling and writing notes on which classes I should take at the university. My father has been extra persistent lately about me furthering my education and doubling up on my required high school classes and also taking a course or two at the University of Miami, which is also where Normani goes.

"Also for next week, I'll start to go over some of the requirements for your senior anthology, which - if you recall - is the single most important component of your senior portfolios. And your portfolios are going to be worth 40% of your final grade. No pressure." He smiled at the end of his sentence, the bell ringing right after, signaling the end of both the class and the school day.

I distantly heard him ask to see a "Miss Montgomery" but ignored it with a subtle shake of my head. I didn't want to know or care about whatever they were going to talk about. Aria's little brother had let word get out about the inappropriate and illegal relationship between the girl and the English teacher. Whatever, not my business or my problem.

I walked to the parking lot and saw Dinah's jeep, with Normani behind the wheel and smiled, giving a slight wave.

"Hey," she greets me as I get in, dropping my bag on the floor at my feet.

"Hiiii, thanks for the ride," I start, and then realize what's playing through the speakers. "I didn't know you liked Paramore too."

She rolled her eyes, pulling the car out of the lot.

"I mean, they're decent... but I'm not listening to them by choice."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask, chuckling.

"This is Dinah's precious CD playing. Lauren made it for her before she left, and no one is allowed to take it out or anything. There are about 24 songs on it; a bunch of them by bands and artists that the two of them grew up listening to, or songs Lauren thought Dinah would like. She had the nerve to only put one Beyoncé song on there," Normani continued, scoffing playfully, while navigating the streets toward her dorm, where I'd stay for a several hours since no one was at my house.

"That's so cute, actually," I start, smiling at the twenty one pilots song that played next - Johnny Boy. "If there's anything Laur cares about, it's her friends; and she and Dinah have been super close since forever."

"Silly Mila. When are you gonna realize that you're up there too? We're all important to her, but with you it's just a little different. It'll always be different." she was smiling now, and I knew what she meant, so I didn't reply. I allowed myself to drift into my thoughts a bit.

"Damn, I really miss Shawn. He was so annoying but I kinda liked having someone who followed me around like a cute, overgrown puppy," Normani mused, reaching a hand up to stroke her left eyebrow distractedly.

"Yeah, he did say that you were his spirit animal. You know what's crazy?"

She shook her head.