fifteen

———
Same time and place, yins

Lauren's POV

Camz and I were kind of chatting with everyone, and it was still kind of surreal to me that this would be goodbye to everything I loved for the better part of a year. There was so much I would miss, but the top one on my list was a feisty brunette with soul-searching brown eyes and a powerful and awe-inspiring mind.

Sinu had been here with Sofi up until a half hour ago, which was roughly noon; Sofi had a soccer game, and I refused to let her miss it. So I just hugged her really tight, and she made me promise I'd come home soon so I could come to one of her games. I agreed, as long as she promised to practice and be the best player she could be, as well as being a good student, daughter, sister, and most importantly, butterfly queen. She beamed at me before skipping off with Sinu, who I'd had a lengthy talk with the night before. She was a wonderful woman, and a great mother. Camila and Sofi were lucky to have her.

That reminded me that I forgot to see my mother in the cancer center where she was admitted, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I was kind of tired, I'll admit, and I was laid on my back across the seats. I saw a bunch of other Marines scattered across the airport waiting for the same flight; there were going to be over 200 people on this plane, and the majority of them would be soldiers.

None of our friends minded (since they were such Camren shippers, I guess they wouldn't) that Camz and I were cuddling with the tiny space the seats allotted. I think she was tired too, or maybe just being very quiet.

She was lying on me with her head on my chest when she spoke up. "Are you scared to go? Because I'm scared as hell to let you," she shifted her head upright, and her big brown eyes were watery, and my own eyes mirrored hers of their own accord.

I ignored her usage of the word 'hell' for now, but stashed away the receipt for later teasing purposes. "Of course. I'm human, I'm scared too. Terrified, even. But I've got Shawnie," Shawn, at hearing my baby-sounding  nickname for him, turned his head and smiled sweetly at us before returning his attention to his boyfriend on his phone's screen. Camz and I waved to him from our awkward position. I had to remember to call him. "And a bunch of other people who have training; we watch out for each other, always."

"Semper Fidelis," Toby Cavanaugh said suddenly from across the row of seats.

I acknowledged him with a nod and smile.

"Oorah!" yelled this one guy, Brockway, who I remembered was always very excited about everything.

Suddenly all eyes were on us, and I blushed embarrassedly, Camila and I sat up, but I made sure to link her pinky with mine.

"Oorah," another soldier called out from someplace else.

"Oorah!" came the shout from a little boy. His mother scolded him for saying it and I kind of felt bad, but I laughed anyway.

A whole slew of soldiers were calling out "Oorah" and I guess that was because of what I said. I kinda felt awkward, to be honest.

"Look at you, Lo. You're hot shit. Got the whole airport pro-Marine. Semper Fi, sis," Austin said to me through Shawn's phone. I smiled widely at him, and regretted not calling him or at least sending a message or two on whatsapp. Half the time I didn't even know where my phone was at.