thirteen

a/n: !!!!!!!!! a/n at the end is important. also if you're not ready to read a really long chapter, come back and read this later. but you'd be missing out on hella fluff, just sayin'

September, 2010

Lauren's POV

"I hate airports. I really hate them," Camila muttered as she sat next to me in one of the cold and hard plastic seats. Shawn, a few seats down, was stretched across several of them, his forearm draped across his eyes as he slept soundly.

"Camz, I appreciate you being here. But you know I told you that you could stay home and no one would be upset," I tell her, smoothing her hair down and then placing my arm back around her slender shoulders.

She scoffed. "And I told you that there was no way I would ever miss saying goodbye. What if something happened afterwards and I was still at home sleeping so I never got the chance to say goodbye properly? I'd never forgive myself."

I grab her hands with my free one, stopping them from fidgeting. "That's way too 'angsty teen drama' for me, okay? Nothing's gonna happen. Plus, this isn't goodbye, it's BRB. Plus, when I do leave, I might still get to call you sometimes, and if I'm on base in Kuwait for long enough, I might be able to talk to you through Yahoo's messaging server."

"Yeah, I guess. It doesn't hurt that you still have a couple more days here. I'm used to airports since my dad leaves every so often for training, like today, but I still hate them. They're cold, dirty, and uncomfortable. And they have good food, but it's really expensive!" Camila huffed at the end of her indignant rant.

"True. Where is he going this time?" I asked, looking around the surprisingly densely populated airport. People in plain clothes, businessmen and businesswomen, children, and soldiers in uniform (I felt tempted to salute them and maybe say Semper Fidelis, as they were fellow Marines. Alas, the thought of the confrontation - which was never a possibility - already had my pulse into overdrive).

"Oh, I don't remember." Camila's familiar voice was enough to calm me down and remind me to breathe evenly. It's fine. "I'll ask him when he comes back from Starbucks with my mom and Sofi. He'll only be gone for two weeks so it's okay.

"I just wish I didn't have to wake up at the ungodly hour of 4:45. Dinah and Mani stayed home, and Ally has work at 7, and I am so jealous." she rolled her eyes and leaned into me.

"Well, you never wanna miss out on a chance to say goodbye. Right?"

"Right."

Camila leaned into me with a long sigh. "I just really worry a lot about you now. It's okay for me to worry, right?"

"Of course it's okay. It's natural to worry." I reassured her, dragging the tips of my fingers lightly against Camila's knuckles.

Camila seemed to relax, the lines in her face softened. I took the time to study her features. I tend to feel a little short of breath whenever I look at her. She looked over to me, raising her eyebrows in a questioning manner.

"Sorry. Can't help it; you're so damn cute." I admitted, and she let out that little giggle. That little giggle always had me smiling more at her. Someone needs to make a recording of that giggle, and then I'd find a way to loop it. I'd buy it on iTunes or illegally download it and just play that perfection on replay. God, I'm in so deep.

Anyways, back to what I was saying earlier. Camila's giggle always gets me feeling some type of way... In all seriousness, I absolutely adore Camila. Whether it was obvious or not, I absolutely adore that girl, and I'd do anything to keep her safe.