eleven

a/n: i like this song

this would've been 11k words if i kept it one chapter so i'm just going to split it and post the other half some time from now

whole thing is in lauren's POV ok

September, 2010
3 days after the events of chapter ten
9:15 am

Lauren's POV

"Hey sweetheart, it's been a while since I've seen you around," Natasha said sultrily as I walked onto the the fourth floor of the rehab facility.

"Yeah, I joined the Marines, so I was away at boot camp. It's been so long that my mother isn't actually here anymore, she's at some hospital or something. I'm not totally sure, but I was hoping you could help me figure out which one," I say, and Nat's jaw drops.

"Well that's... hot. But rest assured, I can most certainly help you out." she did a 360° turn in her chair, which wasn't at all necessary since she had already been facing her computer, but I just rolled my eyes and said nothing of it.

After a couple of minutes of Natasha chewing her gum and sipping out of a "Doctor Who?" mug that was labeled 'Elise' in fancy script, she turned the screen toward me.

"Yep, found her. She's here."

"University of Miami Hospital..." I read aloud, nodding softly.

"Yeah. So go there and ask for her, and they'll point you in the right direction."

"Alright, well, thank you for helping me. I appreciate it," I said somewhat distractedly.

"No problem, cutie. But just because your mom isn't at this facility anymore isn't a good enough reason for you to be a stranger," I watched in disbelief as she ripped off a post-it and scribbled down her number.

"What...?"

"My girlfriend and I would totally love to hang out with you, cupcake. Don't be a stranger, 'kay?" she winked and turned her computer screen around, going back to typing things that probably weren't even relevant to her job.

I didn't respond, just waved and went to the stairwell, thoroughly confused by the exchange. She has a girlfriend and still flirts like it's her job. Okay.

When I got down to the main floor, I was leaving and passing the reception desk, when a friendly and familiar voice called out.

"Have a nice day!" I turned and waved and saw the name tag. It was Elise; that must be Natasha's girlfriend. I am so slow... definitely no more weed for me. It's already fucked up my brain cells; rip.

I planned to force a smile, but when I saw the cheerful and genuine woman, I couldn't help but form a genuine and slight grin of my own. "Thanks, you too."

I headed out to my truck and got in and sat in thought. I wasn't ready to visit my mother for some reason. It just didn't seem like the right time. I would aim to see her by 11 or something.

——

The bell rang behind me as I entered the bakery-turned-coffee shop. Papa H was behind the counter, his back to the door as he was drying a coffee mug.

"What can I get for you?" he called over his shoulder, his head turned enough to hear but not enough to see who he was talking to.

"I'll take a decaf coffee, black, and some of the house trail mix." I gave him my usual, and he turned around suddenly with his expression being one of surprise.