Chapter 4

Maya's POV

The hardest thing for me, as a transgender boy is sports. When I was younger it was normal for both genders to play sports together, but as I got older, the separated them by gender. Mentally, I could play football, be on the boy's basketball team, and so on. But not so much physically. Now if I weren't closeted, then maybe. I hate being told I "can't" do something because I am a girl. Newsflash, that's not my true gender. 

I don't know how much longer I can take being called Maya. I have to tell Riley.

-TIME FORWARD 4 HOURS-

I went over to the Matthews for dinner, as I always did every week night. 

"Hey Maya." Riley smiled and greeted me with a hug. I tensed up a bit, I was so nervous. "You okay?"

"I am fine Riles, just thinking about stuff." I replied softly.

"Oh okay." Riley didn't ask anything else.

I was extremely nervous. The more I ate my food, the sicker I got. And Riley didn't help by putting ketchup all in her mac-and-cheese. But I do love that girl. Cory kept watching me the whole time, he could tell something was wrong. 

"Maya, you okay?" he asked as we were finished eating. I nodded.

"I ju-ust wanted to tell you guys something.." I spoke.

"We are listening honey." Topanga sat down on the couch.

"I am.." spit it out, " I never thought it would this hard to say..."

"It's okay Maya, what is it?" Riley wrapped her arm around me.

"I......am.......transgender." I gulped and felt like my heart dropped to my feet. The just sat there, looking at me. 

"And are you sure of that?" Topanga asked, with no tone in her voice.

"I am sure, I am so sure, I always have been." I nodded.

"Well.. all I have to say is, It will be great to have another son in the family." Cory smiled at me.

"What's a tran-nin-der?" Auggie asked confused. We all laughed

"It means you have another best friend, another big brother Bubba." Cory smiled.

"So, I am sure you don't want us to call you maya anymore?" Topanga asked.

"Yeah," I smiled, "I wanna be called Mason." I have no idea why I was so nervous. This feeling of support is incredible. 

"Mason," Riley giggled, "Heh, I like that." She pulled me into a big huge. We embraced each other like never before. 

I am Mason Hart, to one family at least. This is a great place to start.

"Mason, this will never change how much we love you." Cory smiled. "Have you told anyone else?"

"Nope. Especially not my mom. People like me don't seem to fit in her religion." I laughed.

"Always feel free to be yourself. Anytime you are with us, or in this house, you dress anyway you want. We will go shopping for new clothes tomorrow?" Topanga asked.

"Sounds great." I smiled. Riley kissed me on the cheek.

"I guess I am outnumbered in our group, 3 guys and 1 girl." Riley shook her head playfully.

"You're my girl, don't forget that." I hugged her once more.