A paw. A freaking black and green paw. 

She should have seen it coming. That cat of a boy was her soulmate and she couldn't get it out of her head. She liked him of course. But Adrien was the one holding her heart.

That morning she put on her normal pink jeans, but instead of her sleeveless shirt and a jacket over it, she decided to go with long sleeved pullover, so she could cover her mark. 

Of course she was going to lie. She didn't want Alya finding this out.

"Don't worry Marinette. Maybe it's for the best," assured Tikki, between breakfast. Her parents were already fast working downstairs. She nodded, but said nothing.

"How are you feeling birthday girl?" her mama asked when she stepped into their flat. She faked a smile and Tikki quickly hid.

"Did you find your mark yet, sweetie?" her dad asked. 

"No, papa. I'm going look for it, when I come home," she smiled. "I'm already running a bit late," 

She had half an hour until the first lesson, but today she woke up a little early in case, she'd have to look for her mark. 

Her parents just shrugged it off, because they knew she liked to hang out with her friends. Besides, they had too much to do, than to ask Mari questions. They would do that, when she got home.

"Girl! Happy birthday!" Alya screamed across the street, causing Marinette to roll her eyes at her best friend. "Did you find your mark yet?" 

"Jeez, Alya. You sound just like my parents," she laughed. "And no. I'll look for it when I come home," 

Alya thought about her best friend. That's not like her. Something was off. She was looking foward for this for months. No way she would just 'wait to get home'. 

"Fine. I just hope you don't have it on your butt. That would be really awkward," Alya smiled at her, making her think she tricked her.

Marinette let out a sigh of relief. Alya fell for it. Or so she thought. She couldn't bear the thought of Alya, seeing her mark. She was such a Ladybug and Chat Noir shipper, this would've definitely crushed her.

"Anyway. Let's head towards school. We don't want to be late," Marinette said. 

"Since when do you care if you're late? As much as I remember you come to school like on hour late," Alya laughed it off. 

Marinette rolled her eyes and started walking towards school.

They stopped in front of it. 

"I totally forgot to give you this!" Alya exclaimed and pushed a gift in her hands. 

"Oh, you shouldn't have," she said. "Thank you," 

She hugged her best friend and started opening the gift, when a limousine stopped infront of girls. A blonde boy stepped out and greeted the girls. 

When he saw a present in Marinette's hands, he smiled at her.

"It's your birthday? Happy birthday! Did you see your mark yet?" Adrien friendly asked. 

"No, uh-I mean yes. I-I mean it's definitely not you. Uh-not like I want it to be you. I mean it would be cool to have you as my soulmate and stuff, but I-I didn't find it yet," she stuttered, Adrien just weirdly watched.

"What she meant to say was that she didn't find her mark yet," Alya stepped between the two. 

"Oh. Well anyway, I hope you find your soulmate soon," he smiled at her and started walking towards the class. She couldn't stop grinning. 

"What, Marinette finally turned 16. I guess your soulmate is that Nicolas, from the back of the class," Chloe had to make a scene. 

Marinette rolled her eyes. She wanted to spat in her face that her soulmate was way cooler than her, even though she lied to everyone. She had to do the same to her.

"His name is Nathanael, Chloe. And I don't know who my soulmate is yet," she rolled her eyes.

"Of course you do. You just don't want to tell us, since you have such a crush on Adrien," she rolled her eyes. 

She knew?

"What are you talking about? I don't have a c-crush on Adrien?" it came out like a question, which wasn't her intention.

"Yeah Chloe. What are you talking about?" Alya lied for her. Now the whole school was watching, including Adrien. 

Marinette having a crush on him? That as silly. She barely spoke to him. 

"Whatever Marinette. Just go back to making those stupid clothes you have. You might succeed someday," she turned around. "Who am I kidding? No you won't,"

She and Sabrina left the scene, so Marinette could calm her breathing. She was angry. Did she just spill her crush to everyone in school? Not that it was totally obvious, but still.

The class started and her mind wasn't able to think of anything than her soulmate. Should she tell him? Should she lie and tell him her soulmate was someone else? 

"Marinette?" Alya brought her back to Earth. She shook her head and looked at her.

"You okay, girl? I've been trying to call you for at least five minutes now," she said and looked at her. "Class has been over for 10 minutes,"

She sighed and stood up, then put her tablet into her backpack and nodded. 

"I'm fine. Just thinking," Alya knew something was off with her best friend. 

"Why don't we go to a hot chocolate, and you can tell me whatever has been troubling you," Alya offered.

"I'd love to, but I seriously need to help my parents," Alya knew it was an excuse, but she let her go anyway. Marinette would tell her when she is ready. 

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow. And don't forget to look for your mark!" Alya called behind her, when Marinette started running towards the bakery. 

His smile creapt into her mind again and as her clumsy self she was didn't realize she bumped into someone. But before she could feel the ground below her, a strong hand pulled her back.

In process a sleeve fell off, exposing her mark to be seen to the world. She looked at the person above, and saw Adrien holding her hand, preventing her from falling.

But a green and black paw got his attention. 

"Is that.. ?" Adrien asked. "It looks like something I've seen before," he knew exactly what it was. It looked like a paw on his ring when he was transformed. And as soon Marinette realized what he was talking about, she shot up, covering her mark once again.

"Uhh I don't think so. Maybe- maybe, uh my soulmate is a dog! That would explain why I like dogs- not cats! - so much. Or maybe he's a dog person, or something," she wanted him to get away from the though that a cat-looking boy just might be her soulmate.

But then it hit him. His sign looked exactly like a needle and a string. It represented Marinette. She loved sewing. She wanted to become a fashion designer. How had he never realized it before?

Marinette was his soulmate.