Chapter 19. For a Friend

He only just remembered his duty he had so faithfully promised to her at the start of winter. He told her he would never leave her. He panicked. Maybe this was what she wanted him to help her with.

Letting the rabbit slip out of his grip to the ground casually, Blake tried to think of where Jade could have gone. The first place he thought of was beside the river. Her nightly routine always began there; water then food. That's how it usually went. He picked the rabbit back up and walked back out of the den.

Following her scent, just in case he was wrong, he felt a sense of unease. First of all, her scent was vastly different. From that afternoon, it had become so much more... viscous. The fox inside convulsed at the smell and satisfying tingles enveloped him as though he had just caught a waft of glamorous perfume worn by an equally stunning supermodel. This was hardly the scent he would associate with it, yet it was how his fox trait was acting that spurred his continued infatuated interests.

She was on heat and alone. Though he knew her well enough, nothing could predict what her behavior would be like in her time of year. For all he knew she could be looking for a mate right now to satisfy her needs. His heart fluttered rapidly at the thought of another fox claiming her so unceremoniously when what he felt for her inside was so passionate and genuine. What better partner to have then one who's a good friend. The extension to their relationship could come as naturally as breathing.

He paused at the sudden realization of his thought process when he followed up his thinking with the second thing. He was startled at his own eagerness to find her more than the need to help her. Over the time he known Jade, he felt emotionally in touch with her as friend only. Now his fox wanted to close that gap with a physical connection. The protection she desired from him had been greatly compromised at this start of "season". Blake felt that anything that approached her, whether it was dog-fox, vixen, prey... or human, he would destroy for her safety, friendly or not. He had a responsibility to Jade to protect her, and then to make her feel things-

'Stop it, you disgusting fool,' he chided as he continued trotted, finding it harder, impossible even, to force his human mind to take control as his fox trait pushed in so easily and regularly. From the moment he became a fox, he learnt to deal with his two different lives. They lived in peace with each other and never conflicted – until now.

*

When he came to the edge of the woods, just on the tree line, he stopped as he saw Jade's wondrous figure lapping from the water. Slinking to the skeletal branch frame of a bush, he began to watch her as she stretched. Spying was something he never liked, but watching her made something grow within his heart - among other things - to the point where his blushed face had become the norm. With firm rhythmic beats, his heart began to pound hard, matching hers. For the first time since Sky, he felt true love. Mating season had made him see Jade clearly, and he had never met anyone with such beauty as her.

He was stuck in place with love struck eyes. He began to think of what Astrid had said. In order to be with Jade forever, he would have to ask her to be his mate. He could show his feelings to her and finally be free at heart. This thinking brought out his wild mind again and the urging bursts of closeness for her. He liked the warm tingle he was getting by her sight and scent.

The only problem was if Jade didn't love him back. She had cared for him since they met and she would show him love during her season, but once she returned to normal, would their relationship be destroyed? Would she regret what she had done? He would live with a broken heart for the rest of his life if this happened.

It was worth a shot though. He only lived once. He had to ask her now, while there was still some logic flowing through his head.

Jade suddenly swiveled her ears around before looking to her side when she heard a noise coming from the woods farther down stream. Blake kept quiet, trying not to be noticed. If Jade caught him spying on her, he knew that she would become irked at him for stalking, killing any chance of them being together. An indignant frown appeared on her face before she put her head back down to the water. The anger was only a mask. Blake felt her anxiety blooming. The exact same fear he felt from her when she pleaded for help. This was the moment she wanted him for.