Chapter 34. Try

You grew up so fast... Blake thought, his proud smile hidden behind a shield of stern contempt.

'I hate you!' Beryl screamed at his face. Her flattened ears now almost at his chin level. 'I... fucking hate you!'

...So damn fast. I'm only nineteen, and you're growing into a determined teenager right before me as though I your real father...

Beryl scorned furiously in a narrow clearing across the lake with the straight faced male doing his best to stare her down. The evening warmth of a late summer heatwave bristled both of their furred bodies along with the hackles on Beryl's back. 'You always tell me not to anything! Well you can't tell me what to do anymore! I'm sick of always having you hover over me!'

...When I found you, you were a frightened cub covered in filth, and even then you were determined to show your vigour...

'We have been all through those woods on your side of the river three times over. All the while you were with me, bothering me with lessons and asking if I was managing. At first it was nice. But since we crossed you're just been pestering me. Constantly! I've had it!'

...You're becoming an outstanding hunter from our lessons. You're putting on weight in front of my eyes because of it...

'We'll never make any progress together on this side of the river. The past is proof of that. We haven't found so much as a chunk of fur from mom. You're delaying my whole life from moving forward!'

...And now here you are, maturing and full of tenacity. A never going to give in attitude Brock would have been proud of. Instead, I'm to grieve his loss to feel his pride...

'I can manage. You've taught me everything I possibly need to know. The dangers, risks, and signs. Just let me do this, please!'

...There is so much within you that I dreamed of Sky being one day. Playful, headstrong, and persistent. All because I made that choice to care for you. To take you in despite Jade's objection. To love you...

'Why won't you let me search on my own?!'

...because you are my daughter.

'Lower your voice, Beryl,' Blake interjected, sharply observing the immediate area. 'I'm not going to go hungry tonight because you're not happy with my decision.'

'Fuck you!' Beryl turned her tail with a aggravated flick and trotted off. 'I'm going to do this on my own, whether you like it or not.'

Blake was quick to step in front of her. 'You're not understanding. Knowing about the dangers out there is different from experiencing them. You haven't seen humans or dogs, and only a few snares. I don't think you can handle it.'

'And I've told you I'll keep safe, as always!' she spat. 'I'm quick and smart. You've said so yourself. I will have thought of what to do, done it, and be gone before either dog or man even know I'm there.' She trotted off again.

'I know they won't,' Blake said as he trotted after her. 'You're cunning like that. Hell, you're making me look bad. But I can't risk you getting into trouble.'

Beryl rolled her eyes at hearing this excuse for the thousandth time then whirled on him. 'What if I want to get into trouble, huh? What if I want to experience something that's outside your control? Have you ever thought about what I want?'