Chapter 26. Onslaught

As the nights went by, Blake and Jade hunted together in the woods as they mended sensitive wounds. The only time Jade hunted remotely alone, though keeping his promise to be close, was when she was in the woods, keeping safe. Even then, Blake howled out occasionally to keep tabs on her. Every time they went hunting in the fields, Blake would always be constantly alert to what was happening around him. With Jade getting bigger and the moment getting closer, he couldn't take any chances of her being in danger.

During these still, somewhat unsettled, times the couple finally managed to smooth things over. Blake's mistake had strained their bond, yet there was an unconditional firmness that persisted during the worst hours. He was becoming more in-turn with Jade's motions, giving her comfort when she sobbed and space when she flared. Having learned that Blake was completely ignorant to family commitments, Jade took up the endeavor to educate him, as she had done so with him so many time before with his new life. Mostly during her "quieter" more tolerant moments.

The expecting vixen still snapped - of course, with the birth rapidly closing, this was inexorable - and distance couldn't be helped. For his own safety, whenever he felt that certain anxious aura from her, he ventured away. This was not done clandestinely like during the previous weeks, though. That was one of the main topics they had discussed in depth. Jade understood and, yet still solemn at the concept, let him go while she got her head straight. Like he was still watching out for her though, he returned to soothe her as the regret from her snarkiness caused to her apologize constantly.

In the fields, they walked side by side. Long gone were the nights of chasing each other through around the grand redwoods and playing roughly like cubs. Jade was tender and full. And any motion of excitement to provoke any sort of glee was met with a leer from Jade. If her body was a temple at the approach of the halfway point, then now would be the forbidden shrine erected delicately at its core. And may anyone who looked at it wrong be cursed forever for their insolence.

They were not hunting anything in particular. Just moseying around, enjoying the last moment of free time they had left, as well as combing over another bout of nark with dismissive friendly small-talk. They were quite happy alone together out in the open greening lands, despite the exposure of... well, everything.

The snow had melted further to the point of them seeing dirt for the first time in months in a constant cone of vision. Where before it was hard to find a patch of clear soil through the snow, now it was the opposite. Under their paws, the soil was soft and moist and shoots of grass were growing in the late winter chill. The weight of ice the branches in the woods held throughout the cold season were relieved of their burdens for another year. At one point Blake could almost here those trees sighing gratefully as their powerful limbs vacillated serenely in the winds. The woods began to fill with the wondrous scents of spring. Within a week or two, any evidence of the eventful snow would vanish completely and the winter spirits could wait patiently for its time to return to cover the lands once again.

Gifts of food were still presented to Jade from time to time. But from being as something he felt obliged to do regardless of his own condition, now it was done with more of a token of good faith. Doing it like this made Jade relax slightly at the fact he was still looking out for her, yet also keeping himself in form, too. Blake also managed to calm his mind like this. Food had become a gesture of compassion rather than it been felt like a job.

That wasn't to say that that he had forgotten about his exhausting efforts. He checked food stashes regularly when he could. The lack of interest from scavengers to the ones placed in the thick of the woods closer to the den made any worry he had disperse, yet the one at the edge of the grasslands  had been dug into multiple times. It was basically a smelly hole now with only desiccated remains of skin left. And in all honestly, Blake expected it. After the warning from Brock, he nerved himself for the reality of a raid. But in the end he had to chuckle sullenly, knowing who had likely raided it.