Chapter Three

Kaarina shut the door behind her, clutching her jacket closer to her body as the chilly breeze caused her to shiver. She had half a mind to go back inside where the heat of the kitchen held her in its comfortable embrace. It was quite a dream come true having a restaurant. It almost made her forget how cold the world was.

Another shiver ran down her spine as the breeze continued to blow right through her blouse. New York was seeming to be cold at nights, but she didn't know whether or not that was frequent since she had only been there for a short period of time, a week to be exact.

Making her way to the bus stop, she checked the reviews on social media about her establishment. There was altogether a few reviews, but they still managed to make her smile despite wanting so desperately to sleep.

At the bus stop, it was crowded with a couple persons passing by on the street. Kaarina was still not use to so much people around her. She almost felt like a little shrimp surrounded by the salty depths of the sea. It was very suffocating and overwhelming for her at the moment. But with a bright smile, she shrugged it off. New York was a place for opportunities after all. She would get use to it.

The bus stop was too dense for Kaarina so she decided to walk a little further from it. She still kept her eye out for the bus though. Glancing at the time, she groaned seeing that it was past midnight and now two o'clock. Her brain was throbbing in her head, a prominent reminder of the headache she was sporting. The closing time for the restaurant was 11:30 p.m., but because of the busy crowd, her staff and herself thought it would be best to wait until the crowd faded away. In her mind that was midnight, but she was mistaken. No wonder her head was feeling like Thor was pounding his hammer on it. She could even feel the vibration under her eyelids when she had shut them for a minute. They stung a bit, but Kaarina reminded herself to be grateful. She had a job and was able to continuously support herself and her family, her mother. One she loved and everyone seemed to agree, especially with the turn out she had been getting at the restaurant.

"Miss Kaleb," she jolted back into the real world at the mention of her name. She opened her eyes to meet dark ones. Those eyes were familiar. "How are you?"

She then remembered he was the hot guy who she had made a complete fool of herself in front of. She tried to hide the blush of embarrassment that made its way up her neck. Doing her best to act casual and composed, she took in his appearance. It was night, but under the lights of the city, she could make out the mischievous glint in his dark eyes. Her gaze suddenly dropped to his rosy pink lips. It was so weird to find a guy with a perfectly tanned and toned body with such a sensual mouth. Wasn't that putting the rest of the male population at a disadvantage?

"Mr. Vittorio," she smiled kindly at him as her eyes involuntarily traveled the length of his body. His hands were stuffed in the pockets of his jeans as he leaned on a sliver car. "Are you stalking me?"

The words that fell out of her mouth wasn't what she had expected. It was so flirtatious. She didn't want to give him the wrong idea. Besides, he wasn't her type. Hot guys always brought the most troubles. She might not know it by experience, but she had heard enough sob stories from the popular girls in high school. And even in college. Yet when he gave her that charming smile, all rational sense washed away and she was definitely into that smile.

Yes, she thought with a sense of admiration. He does put the male population to a disadvantage.

"Maybe I am," he said easing up from his position leaning on the car, his lips lifting up into a shit eating grin. "Do you have a problem with that, Miss Kaleb?"

He took two calculated strides towards her, his gaze locked with hers, and he stood in front of her. She had to look up at him as he was a good half foot taller than her 5'10 frame. She wasn't anywhere near short where she had lived, but right now she was seriously doubting that.