chapter one, part two | A Fresh Start

The road was long, and the drive was peaceful. Signs ghosted past my eyes as my mom barely pressed her foot on the pedal. There was no need for her to go any more than 20 miles an hour. There was no rush. We were, in a way, in our own world. The breeze brushed our hair behind us and the sunset's colors brought life to our skin. The scenery took my breath away, and a familiar beat met my ears. I turned the knob on the radio, smiling contently and staring at the passing river.

"What if, what if we start to drive

What if, what if we close our eyes?

What if we're speeding through red lights into paradise?

'Cause we've no time for getting old

Mortal body, timeless souls

Cross your fingers, here we go"

I sang quietly, slightly swaying my head to the beat. My mom glanced at my serene face, smiling. I was never like this and I could tell it brought her joy. No stress lines, no teary eyes, no shaking hands. Nothing. Just the content smile on my face that had been missing for so long.

I stared ahead, watching the sun drop further into the horizon and the darkness envelop the land. The stars scattered the sky like freckles on a face, lighting up what would soon be pitch black. The breeze chilled slightly, nipping at my cheeks now. I gave one last smile before rolling up my window.

"I'm tired mom, mind if I sleep a little?" I asked, reaching behind me to grab a pillow and blanket.

"Of course not. We'll probably be there by the time you wake up." She replied. I nodded, adjusting my seat so I could be a little more comfortable.

"Sweet dreams." She whispered as I drifted off.

>> timeskip <<

My eyebrows dropped as I felt the hot sun beat on my closed eyes. I groaned, covering my face with my arm.

"Are you awake?" My mom asked. I sighed.

"I am now," I mumbled, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. I yawned and blinked rapidly, trying to wake myself up. After sighing again, I realized we had stopped. I looked outside and at the house, surprised at how big it was.

"Where did you get the money to rent this?" I asked, opening my car door and stepping out. My mom stepped out after me, laughing quietly.

"Well, I bought it, actually." She replied, locking the car. My eyes widened, and I stared at her.

"You bought it? How? Did you win the lottery or something and not tell me?" I asked. She laughed again, leaning against the car.

"Your father and I had been saving up for a long time. We've always wanted a nice, cozy house like this, so when we got married we put a little bit of money aside and we built the savings up as the years went by. After the accident though, I kinda forgot about it. It just recently crossed my mind and I realized that we finally had enough after I got the settlement. So, here we are." My mom replied. I smiled, looking back at the house.

"So what I'm hearing is... I can redecorate?" I asked. My mom smiled.

"Yes, you can redecorate." She said.

"Sweet!" I shouted happily, walking to the front door. My mom followed, pulling out a keychain with three keys attached. She stuck the white on in the door, twisting and unlocking it. I stepped in after her, the new house smell filling my nostrils.

"The white key is mine, the pink key is yours, and the black key is the spare, okay?" She said, handing me the pink key. I nodded, stuffing it in my pocket. I walked into the kitchen, running my finger across the countertop. I sighed quietly. If only dad were here.

"How many bedrooms are there?" I asked, trying to distract myself.

"Three. Plus, two bathrooms and a library. And obviously a kitchen and living room." She replied. I nodded before glancing in the living room.

"I'm gonna go check out my room," I said, walking out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

I sighed and took in my surroundings, staring at the wallpaper. There was an adjacent door and without thinking twice, I pushed it open. The room was larger than my old one and had a bay window. I smiled. I've always wanted one of those. I walked towards it, sitting on the comfy cushion and staring at the grass below. My eye unfocused slightly, causing me to stare at my reflection. The black of my eye caught my attention and my smile fell.

I was born with a black sclera, pupil, and iris. It was something no one had ever seen before and, because of that, there was no way to cure it. They classified it as another type of blindness and that was that. People always told me, 'Be grateful, you could've been blind in both eyes.', but maybe that's what I would've preferred. Selfish, I know.

"I thought I'd bring you your stuff. You okay?" My mom asked, knocking on the door frame and walking in. I glanced over my shoulder before looking down.

"Yeah... I'm good." I replied, standing up and grabbing my things from her arms.

"Hey... Things are getting better, alright? The movers will be here in about an hour, so we can go to Home Depot and get some new wallpaper in the meantime. That sound good?" She asked. I gave a small smile.

"Yeah."

>> timeskip to early next morning <<

I opened my eyes stubbornly as my alarm clock blared in my ear. I sighed, smacking it to stop the sound. After sitting up and rubbing my eyes for a few minutes, I finally stood up and started getting ready. I opened up my box of clothes, fishing out my favorite outfit. A pastel pink off the shoulder top with bellbottom sleeves and a pink plaid skirt paired with white thigh-highs and doc marten mary janes. I grabbed a bra and pair of underwear before rushing to the shower.

After finishing up my daily routine (brushing my teeth, blow-drying my hair...etc.) I grabbed my backpack and phone. I took the stairs two at a time and walked into the living room, finding my mom sitting on the couch.

"Ready?" She asked, standing up and grabbing her keys. I sighed before nodding.

"Ready as I'll ever be."