【𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 16】The House by the Woods

【𝘍𝘰𝘹𝘺'𝘴 𝘗.𝘰.𝘝.】

"We should be heading home." She whispered. I sniffled and nodded, wiping away the remaining tears. She stood and held out her hand, I grasped it and pulled myself up. She draped an arm around me and started walking. I stared at my feet as several things replayed in my mind.

He's hurting her.

He's touching her.

He's defiling her.

I clenched my hand into a fist. He was probably doing all these things to her and all I can do is cry. All I can do is sit back and let him. I growled and shifted myself. My mom's arm fell and I quickened my pace.

"Foxy?" She asked. I didn't answer. I couldn't answer. If I did, I had to talk about it, and talking wasn't my thing. I just needed to get out, get out of this stupid, spiraling hole of nonsense.

I opened the car door and plopped in. As the car started I buckled in and rolled down my window. We slowly pulled out of the school. The wind blew past my face and through my hair, giving me an unwelcome sense of safety. Mangle couldn't feel this, so why should I? Why should I have the pleasure of feeling comfortable when she probably felt the exact opposite?

"Foxy, they'll find her." My mom said and placed a hand on my knee. I turned towards her.

"What if they don't?"

"Foxy, I'm sure-"

"No you're not, mom!" I yelled and turned towards the window. "You know just as little as I do."

The rest of the car ride was filled with an awkward silence. She opened her mouth as if wanting to say something but never did, which I was thankful for.

 She opened her mouth as if wanting to say something but never did, which I was thankful for

As soon as we pulled into the house, I got out of the car. I opened the front door and walked as fast as I could to my room.

"Foxy, there should be some... Foxy?" I heard my dad call after me but I continued to walk. As soon as my door was shut I locked it. I yanked off the jacket I was wearing and sliced off my tie with my hook. I stepped out of my pants and shoes and unbuttoned the first few buttons of my shirt. As soon as I had a t-shirt on, I could've cared less about pants. I plopped myself on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I growled and grabbed my phone. I need something to distract me from her. Anything.

I turned it on but before I unlocked it, I stared at my wallpaper. It was the gang. My arm was draped loosely around Mangle and she held up a peace sign. I closed my eyes and turned it off. I tossed it on the floor and stared at the ceiling again. I sighed and stood up. I grabbed a pair of jeans and sneakers and slipped them on.

I walked toward my window, moved the curtains aside, and popped off the locks. The window slid open with a loud creak. The smell of pine quickly met my nostrils as I stared at the looming forest. The serene silence was somewhat nerve wracking and I felt myself wanting to scream at it to make some sort of noise. The chirp of a bird, the shaking of leaves. Anything to make it feel alive. I quickly stood up and made my way through my room, out my door and towards the front door.

"I'm going out." I said. My mom looked at me but I paid her no mind.

"Where to? Foxy? Foxy!" She called but I was already out the door. My shoes crunched the gravel of the driveway and then the leaves that littered the floor. I continued walking and before I knew it, I was surrounded by the trees. I sighed and stared.

My hand reached out and I caressed the rough bark of the tree. My fingers lightly tracing every pattern. I leaned my forehead into the tree and felt the small pieces of wood press against it. I pulled away and looked at the ground. I moved around the leaves and saw a very smooth pebble. I sighed and began walking forward, every now and then looking at the floor.

After a few minutes of walking, I finally came to what I was looking for.

I sat on the largest rock next to the small pond and sighed. I glanced at the water and saw my reflection. I was a mess. My hair was knotted, my eyes were red, and my mouth was tied into an eternal frown. I groaned and let my head drop. I placed one hand in the water and used it to wipe my face.

"Woah, you look like shit." Someone said from behind me. I turned around and rolled my eyes.

"I know. What are you doing here Vince?" I asked and sat straight up.

"I could ask you the same thing." He replied and sat next to me. I leaned my head on my hand.

"I was trying to be alone with my thoughts, but you kinda ruined that." I said and stared at a tree. Vincent laughed.

"Well don't make it sound like I did it on purpose. I just saw you acting all depressed and thought you needed a friend." He said, adjusting his hat. I shrugged and didn't respond.

There were three properties in the woods, two houses and a large plot of land with sewage stuff underneath it. My family owned one house and Vincent owned the house and land.

He was an okay guy. I wouldn't stretch as far as saying that he was a friend because he was almost 25 years old, but he was nice company. He had very pasty yellow skin and opaque blue eyes that looked fake. He always wore a large hat that covered his entire head, a flannel, and jeans. He seemed like your classic, run-o-the-mill lumberjack.

"Is this about that one girl. What was her name? Like, Mango or something?" He asked. I looked at him.

"It's Mangle, and how did you know?" I asked quizzically. He laughed.

"You do know that there's this thing called... wait for it... The news." He replied and continued laughing. I rolled my eyes and gave a small smile.

"Aye, there's the smile. I'm sure your girlfriend will be fine." He said. I blushed and sighed.

"She's not my girlfriend." I mumbled. He raised his eyebrows.

"Really? A girl as pretty and as unique as her? Jeez, your missing out man." He said. It was my turn to raise my eyebrows.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Well, you know, you're in high school. Live it up a little! If a cute girl goes to the dance with you, she obviously likes you, so grow the balls and ask her out!" He replied with a laugh. I shrugged.

"It's kinda to late for that." I said. Vincent sighed.

"You should get home man, your parents are probably worried." He said and stood. He held a hand to help me up. I grabbed it and said bye and he did too. I walked back where I came and one thing kept running through my mind.

How did he know that Mangle went to the dance with me?