02 | Divorce

Two; Ae-Ri

It has been a year since her expulsion.

Honestly, she was glad to have left the university.

It wasn't where she belonged, and she hated being in the same place as fake people anyway.

Her alarm started ringing loudly, and Ae-Ri immediately sat up.

She peeked open one eye, before opening the other.

As she glanced around the room, Ae-Ri sighed.

"Another day alive, yay." She mumbled weakly, as she peeled her covers away, thus exposing her bare legs to the cold, air conditioned room.

Just as her feet touched the cold tiled floor, someone came knocking softly on the door.

Without waiting for a response, the person entered the room.

"Mum asked what time will you be down?" Albert Kwon Minhyuk, her thirteen year old step-brother asked.

He didn't bother looking up from his phone, as he typed away quickly on it.

"Soon." Ae-Ri simply replied, and Minhyuk left the room.

Ae-Ri sighed.

She didn't feel quite at home in her own home.

Her parents were divorced, when she was eight.

Her mother was apparently having an affair with another man whose name was Kwon DaeSung.

Ae-Ri's father, who was Kwon SooHyun, was fine with divorcing because, Ae-Ri found out later on, that they were both forced to marry through an arranged marriage.

In conclusion, Ae-Ri wasn't supposed to be born.

She was the baby born to a couple who didn't love each other.

Ae-Ri sighed, as she changed into her usual black shirt, and jeans, before brushing her teeth.

Then, she dragged a comb through her tangled hair, not actually caring if she looked good or not.

On the other hand, her step-mother, Sarah, a Caucasian-Korean, was sensitive about looks.

Ae-Ri had lived with her father and his family ever since the divorce. It had been years.

Sometimes, she would visit her mother.

Yet, Ae-Ri had never seen her mother's family.

She knew she had another stepbrother and a stepsister.

When she was younger, before her parents were divorced, she actually longed for a sister to play with.

Now, she didn't even want to look at any of her siblings.

She never went to meet the siblings.

Because she knew, if she did, her emotionless facade will drop.

Ae-Ri just might break down.

「•」

When Ae-Ri went down for breakfast, Sarah smiled at her, "Good morning, dear. Do you want bread with jam, or bacon with eggs for breakfast?"

Sarah was always good to Ae-Ri.

There was never a moment where she had been the evil stepmother.

It was always Ae-Ri pushing her away.

Because Sarah wasn't her mother.

She never will be.

Ae-Ri gave her step-mom a long, blank stare, before shrugging, "I'm not your daughter, so you don't have to bother about me."

Adam Kwon SangHyuk, her other ten year old step brother, suddenly ran up to her and clung to her legs.

"But, I'm your brother, Ae-Ri noona!" SangHyuk whined.

Ae-Ri looked down at the ten year old, and stepped out of his hug.

"No, you're not. You're just a stepbrother."  

She picked up her coat from the laundry basket, and put it on.

"Dear, I just washed that!" Sarah cried.

"We wash stuff so that we can wear them again, Sarah. We don't keep them in the cupboard forever." Ae-Ri sighed.

That was what she had been doing since five.

Sighing.

Everything seemed to make her sigh.

Nothing could ever make her happy.

Ae-Ri didn't want to live.

She wanted to die.

「•」

Dedicated to @_Aivi_ I hope you enjoy this story as much as I enjoy writing it 💕」

Update because ITS MJ'S BIRTHDAY OMG LET'S TAKE A MOMENT TO WISH THIS BEAUTIFUL BOY A HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND A LOVELY YEAR AHEAD AND A HAPPY LIFE STAY CHEERFUL STAY AMAZING STAY YOU MJ 💘😊

#criesbecausehewonteverseethis.