19 | Flashbacks

Nineteen; Ae-Ri

"Dear, please come home early today."

The young Ae-Ri halted, with her hand hovering above the doorknob.

Sarah was standing behind her, wringing her hands together worriedly.

She was just married to Ae-Ri's father a year ago, and she didn't have a warm welcome.

Ae-Ri shrugged, before turning and walking out of the house.

It was five in the evening, but it was still sunny out.

Ae-Ri started brisk walking to the café nearby, and saw Yeo Ra already sitting at a table, with a cup of americano in her hands.

She had scrunched up her face the moment she saw Ae-Ri and said loudly, "Ae-Ri ah, your americano tastes better than this sorry excuse of a coffee."

Ae-Ri snickered, as she pulled on a grey beanie over her hair.

She watched the female worker who had made the coffee squirm uncomfortably under Yeo Ra's scrutinizing gaze.

"Let's leave." Yeo Ra rolled her eyes, as she stood up, and grabbed Ae-Ri's hand.

The two of them left the café and started walking to their hideout.

There, a bunch of teenagers were hanging out.

It was the neighborhood gangster's hideout from society.

"Hey! Yeo Ra and Ae-Ri!" A Chinese boy, Minghao, greeted in broken Korean.

Ae-Ri grinned. She loved teasing the younger boy because of his pronunciation.

"Hi, Minghao. I see your Korean is as cute as ever." Ae-Ri teased, nudging the boy.

He pouted, puffing out his cheeks in annoyance.

"Hey, hey, Ae-Ri! Stop bullying my boyfriend!" Bomi laughed, as she ruffled Minghao's colorful hair.

As the group sat there, talking and having fun, Ae-Ri sensed a deadly aura.

"Yeo Ra. Something feels off." Ae-Ri whispered.

Yeo Ra shrugged her off, and continued talking to Bomi.

Ae-Ri frowned.

'Weird. Yeo Ra never ignores me.'

Just as she opened her mouth to talk to Yeo Ra again, someone kicked down the door to their hideout.

It was the next neighborhood's gangster.

"What the fuck?" Minghao yelled, as he stood up quickly, his hands curled up into fists.

Jun, another member of their gang, rolled up his sleeves and narrowed his eyes, "What do you want?"