13 | Deal Off

Thirteen; MJ

Classes were over for the day, and MJ started packing away hurriedly.

It had been five days since he last saw Ae-Ri and he was worried.

After all, it was barely a week, since he last saw her cry.

Thinking back about it, MJ wondered how she was doing now.

Was Ae-Ri okay?

He hoped she didn't feel negative anymore; he really liked her and wanted her to live.

"I love you."

When the line flashed in his mind, MJ's face grew hot, and he stopped whatever he was doing to slam his head on the table.

The cool tabletop seemed to calm him down a little, as he thought, 'Ah...why did I say that? That was so uncool of me.'

"What got our MJ feeling so flustered?" Jin Jin's teasing voice broke into his reverie.

"Shut up..." MJ grumbled.

"Is it the fact that you confessed to Ae-Ri the other day? So, you finally understands what love means?" Eun Woo grinned, teasing MJ.

"Yeah, yeah." MJ rolled his eyes, and scrunched up unused paper. He threw it at Eun Woo, "You're a smartass, you know?"

Eun Woo beamed proudly, "Like always."

Jin Jin slung an arm over MJ's shoulder, "Speaking about that, you lost our deal. Since you fell for-"

Before Jin Jin could finish speaking, Subin came up to them.

"MJ? Can we talk, please?"

Flustered, MJ pushed Jin Jin's arm away, "Sure."

「•」

"I want you to tell me how you really feel."

"M-me?" MJ stuttered.

Subin rolled her eyes, "Yeah, you. Who else did I confess to?"

MJ chuckled nervously, as he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

He didn't know what to do.

"I like you." Subin confessed again, as she suddenly grabbed his left hand.

She looked up at him, with a little hope in her eyes.

"You're weird, AssJ."

Ae-Ri's face flashed momentarily through his mind, her small smile lighting up her beautiful face.

She looked happy, and somehow, just that one smile sent MJ's heart in a frenzy.

"I'm sorry, Subin. I'm not the guy you're looking for."

MJ waited for her to burst into tears, for her to grab onto him and yelling that he couldn't leave her, like the scenes that always happen in dramas.

He waited for a reaction to come out of her, so when he didn't get one, MJ felt surprised.

Subin shook her head finally, sighing. She massaged her temples, and a pout started to form on her lips.

"Ah, and I thought I could win the bet."

MJ furrowed his eyebrows, "What do you mean by that?"

Subin shrugged nonchalantly, and waved him off, "I made a bet with my friends. If I could win your heart, I get to go on a shopping spree and they're paying. Unfortunately..." Her smile curved downwards into a snarl, "...I didn't win, thanks to you."

With that, Subin turned on her heels and stomped off.

MJ stared at her back, feeling like he was just stabbed in the back, again, and again, and again.

"What the heck?" His first sentence came out of his mouth, after he got over the shock, and the pain.

'Is this how Ae-Ri will feel? Is this how bad it feels to make a bet- for someone's feelings?'

Slowly, MJ went back to the classroom where his two friends were waiting for him.

Jin Jin raised his hand in the air, as greeting, "Hey, MJ! I haven't finished talking and Subin pulled you away! Anyway, about the bet-"

MJ glared at him, his eyes narrowed and his lips in a scowl, "Don't."

Jin Jin flinched, and he asked, "Dude, you okay?"

Eun Woo patted MJ, "What's wrong?"

MJ sat down on his seat, and whispered, "The deal is off. We're not doing it anymore."

Jin Jin looked at him in shock, "Sure, but why?"

"If Ae-Ri finds out, she'll be hurt." MJ explained, as he looked up at his two friends.

His eyes watered, and his voice came out surprisingly soft.

"She's been through enough, and I don't want to add to her pain."

"I want to relive her of it."

「•」

「Dedicated to @moon-bin :)」

Goodnight, you beautiful humans. (Or good morning/afternoon if it's day time for you!)

Xoxo.