14 | Meeting

Fourteen; Ae-Ri

She rocked herself back and forth, on the chair, as she stared out blankly at the pedestrians walking by the empty restaurant.

Her mother had called two days ago.

"Dear, it's been long. Let's meet up."

"I'm busy. I don't wa-"

"I want you to meet your siblings." Her mother had interrupted.

"Siblings? I don't have any." Ae-Ri said coldly.

"Dear, it's been years. Have you not forgiven me yet?" Her mother asked desperately.

"No. And I never will. Also, I don't have siblings. Your children are not my siblings." She could feel her voice getting higher.

She was angry, and clearly, she was getting choked up.

"Dear...okay, fine. Let's meet up, me and you."

An uncomfortable silence filled the phone call, as Ae-Ri frowned.

"2pm, Jilly-Jelly Restaurant, Saturday. Okay?"

Again, Ae-Ri didn't answer.

Her mother sighed, before mumbling a goodbye and clicking off the call.

Ae-Ri had debated not coming, but she couldn't leave her mother alone.

After all, she was still her mother.

The person that gave birth to her, that had raised her up, even if it was just for a few short years.

Jilly-Jelly was quiet, and empty, except for the few old ladies that were siting at the corner, and two businessmen who had been here the whole time Ae-Ri was here, discussing their business.

Ae-Ri sighed and checked her watch.

2:25pm.

'How much longer is she going to keep me waiting for?'

Irritated, Ae-Ri started tapping her leg softly on the ground.

She glanced at her watch again, but the minute hand hadn't moved.

Ae-Ri groaned in impatience, "If she isn't here by 2:30, I'm leaving."

"No need to rush, my dear."

A middle-aged woman, with the same crinkly eyes like her father, and the same face structure as herself, sat down from across Ae-Ri.

"Mom." Ae-Ri said coldly, as she looked at the lady in front of her.

"Hello, my dear Ae-Ri. How are you?" She smiled warmly.

Being the opposite of her mother, Ae-Ri simply shrugged, "Fine. You?"

"I've been great, but Ji-Suk have been driving me nuts. Did you know- he went to a party at midnight without our knowledge?"