part six

Marlene and Sirius stood facing each other in the doorway to the girls dormitories.

"I'm going to leave you two to talk, okay?" Lily said brushing past the pair and down the stairway.

Sirius looked carefully at Marlene as she stood in front of him in his own hoodie and tiny shorts.

"I want you to promise that you won't lie to me." Sirius started. "I mean it, no more lies or avoiding this conversation." He said sternly, watching for her reaction.

Marlene moved out of the door frame and let Sirius into the room, Lily had evidently not finished the charms as Sirius was able to walk into the room freely. "Okay. The whole truth." Marlene nodded as she shut the door behind him and turned to face him.

"Did you have sex with Fabian?"

Marlene looked up at Sirius, "You already know the answer to that." She whispered.

"God dammit Marlene, for once just answer the question, no games! Have you had sex with Fabian in the past three months?"

"Yes." She answered staring at the floor, afraid to see his reaction.

"More than once?" He asked.

She looked away from the floor and back up at his face. "Yes." She admitted.

"Is there anyone else I should know about?" He asked timidly almost as though he was afraid to know the answer.

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm bloody sure Sirius." Marlene muttered.

"Fine, if you're going to be like that. What were you and Lily doing before I came in here?"

It dawned on Marlene that he knew, and he was about to tear her to shreds. "Lily was charming the dorms so that you couldn't get in."

"Why?"

"Because I didn't want to argue with you."

"Is that the only reason?" Sirius asked.

"No."

"Why did you change your mind then?"

"Because you told me that we were over if I didn't." Marlene said boldly. "And I don't want us to be over."

"Then why did you have sex with Fabian?" Sirius said, the hurt now showing in his voice.

"We talked about this yesterday Sirius." Marlene told him firmly. "Because I didn't trust that you weren't doing the same thing, and it made me feel more secure."

"Well I'm glad you feel secure because I'll never be able to trust you again, you know that right?" Sirius responded.

Marlene closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to hold it together.

"You cried yesterday." Sirius said, very matter of factly.

Marlene opened her eyes and looked up at him, wondering when he had become so good at reading people.

"Yes, what's so wrong about that?" Marlene snapped, afraid he understood.

"Well I know you have never cried before, and I've said much worse things to you than what I said yesterday." Sirius said. "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why were you crying?"

Marlene took another breath, trying to steady her breathing. Something was wrong, there was a sharp pain in her lower stomach, she grabbed her stomach and tried to steady herself on the bed post. Tears spilled down her cheeks and the pain increased. Something was really wrong. She felt a wetness between her legs and tried to walk towards the bathroom.