part nine

Marlene walked slowly up the stairs that lead to the girls dorms, an owl from Lily had informed her that Doe knew, but didn't know. Whatever the hell that meant. She opened the door slowly, to see Lily working silently on a paper on the floor by the furnace, and Em lay beside Doe in Lily's bed. Marlene raised an eyebrow at Em.

"She keeps waking up, worried about someone called Marley." Em shot back, before getting up and pulling her friend into a hug.

Doe stirred, and turned to see Marlene and Em watching her. As soon as she realised that it was Marlene she shot out of bed and wrapped her arms around Marlene.

"You're alive." Doe cried, not letting go of Marlene. Marlene pulled back and looked closely at the seventeen year old, who could easily pass for a five year old.

"Of course I am." She grinned. "Got to keep things around here exciting, haven't I?"

Lily shot her a look. "What too soon?" Marlene said cheekily. "Doe, Remus is sat in the common room, he wanted to see you." Dorcas smiled and thanked Marlene before wandering down to the common room in her pajamas, with her hair in messy plaits.

Marlene through her bag onto her bed and sunk onto the sheets.

"How are you?" Lily asked.

"It's over. All of it." Marlene said, emotion evident in her voice. "It was Sirius'." She said with a sad smile.

"Would you have kept it?" Em asked.

Marlene looked up at Em, eyes wide sitting incredibly still, she was silent for a couple of minutes.

"I don't think so." She said, cautiously. "I couldn't do that to Sirius." She mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Lily asked, confused at why Sirius wouldn't want this.

"I don't want to trap him into this, and having that baby would have done that, Sirius and I having a baby, in the middle of this war? Almost seems like some sort of joke. We have the most volatile relationship i've ever seen and I don't see it getting better, the last thing we both need is a child." She said shaking her head. The girls nodded.

"How was your mum?" Em questioned Marlene.

"Upset that I didn't come to her, they aren't going to tell the boys, told me it was my decision if I wanted to or not, Dad was sad, but supportive." Marlene told the girls. "I will tell my brothers, but not yet, I want to get over it myself first." She said leaning back and lying down onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. "What did you tell Doe?" Marlene asked quietly, afraid of the answer.

"That you had a miscarriage, and it was Sirius' but that the baby was only two weeks old." Lily told Marlene.

"Three months." Marlene whispered quietly.

"Three?" Em asked, "Lily I thought you said.."

"I did." Lily whispered in disbelief.

Marlene stayed silent unable to form sentences, afraid she would say something she didn't mean.

Lily looked over at Em, a million thoughts passing through her head, but she knew now wasn't the time to ask questions, Marlene needed to have some time to herself.

"Marls, Em and I are going to go out for a while, if you need us or anything-"

"I'll be okay. Thank you guys." She said quietly turning away from her friends and the door.

The girls left their friend quietly, thousands of questions left unanswered.