part thirty eight

Lily was worried one night in early September when Marlene turned up on her doorstep with a rucksack filled with her things claiming she needed a break.

"A break from what Marls?"

"Sirius." She said stubbornly.

Not only was the answer midly concerning considering their baby was due in a few short months, but also that Marlene was so angry she had left their apartment that Dumbledore himself had charmed safe. But Lily knew better than to argue with Marlene, and her fiery personality that so often clashed with Sirius'. No doubt they were having a little tiff and being dramatic as per usual. Lily let Marlene in and they wandered into the kitchen, where James was stood eating a bowl of cereal in his boxers.

"Ayup Marls!" James said, confused at the sight of Marlene with a rucksack. "Everything alright?"

Marlene dropped her bag on the floor and looked over at her friends concerned faces.

"I just need a breather."

Lily and James frowned. "But-" James started, before being elbowed by Lily who was telling him to wait and shut up, before he said something he shouldn't.

"Lily I'm having a glass of wine." Marlene said raiding the fridge.

Lily opened her mouth to speak, becoming more concerned by the second at the state of her friend, her pregnant friend.

"Oh and don't start about the baby." Marlene muttered looking at Lily, Marlene was drinking from the bottle now. "Not that I care anyway." She muttered.

"Marlene stop." Lily said suddenly, taking the bottle off Marlene. She turned to James, "Go and get Sirius. Right. Now."

James froze and looked at Marlene, "Um.. I.. Er"

"Yeah James, go get Sirius won't you?" Marlene snarled.

James looked at her, in defeat, they both knew exactly where Sirius was, and it wasn't at his apartment where he and Marlene now lived.

Lily looked between the two, and sighed before she took a large swing from the bottle of wine that had been Marlene's. "So, is anyone in the room going to let Lily in on the secret?"

"Sirius is.. otherwise occupied." James stammered nervously, watching Marlene for a reaction.

Marlene slammed her hand on the work surface, "NO." She shouted, making the other two jump. "I'm so sick and tired of all the secrecy and the bullshit! Just say what you mean! Sirius is off with another girl."

Silence fell over the room as Marlene's shout echoed round the room, the hurt in her voice now evident.

"So I'll have that bottle back thanks." Marlene said taking it out of Lily's hand. "And its too late to have a medical abortion at St Mungo's so I'm hoping the poor thing will just get the message." Lily started to wonder if Marlene was already drunk, she hadn't seen her friend in this state for a long time.

The kitchen remained silent for a minute while Lily made eye contact with James, was it true? James nodded. Lily mouthed go. Before turning her attention to her friend.

"Come on Marls, lets not drink ourselves to death today, okay?" Lily said taking the bottle back. She lead her friend out of the kitchen and into the lounge.

"How did you find out?" Lily asked.

"The twat wasn't even discreet Lil, shitty excuses for not being at his own apartment, just the signs that I know way too well."

"But how can you be sure?" Lily asked. "If you aren't 100% sure, don't jump to any conclusions."

"Lily I know the signs, I fucking made them." Marlene muttered. "I swear to you, this is the last time. I can't stand the on and off any longer, I need him to be reliable Lily, I need him to be there. He can't just run off and fuck someone else when he's bored! We are in the middle of a war Lily! A full blown war, I'm pregnant for fucks sake and he still can't stay loyal! My Dad's gone, the rest of my family is still missing, how am I going to raise a child on my own? How could he do this? I trusted him, I really did this time." Marlene was pacing the room now.

"That's it."

"That's what?" Lily asked.

"The last straw. I'm going." Marlene said, decided.

"Going where Mar?"

"Away from here. Merlin, I'll go stay with my uncle in Scotland,  and stay as far away from all of this shit as I can."

Marlene was already at the fireplace holding the floo powder. Lily hugged her friend, unsure there was a way to fix this situation, wondering if she was better away from it all.

"Tell Doe I'll see her soon for me? and I'll write to Em." Marlene was hugging Lily tightly, who was in shock. "I'm sorry Lils, but I've got to go, you know I do. If you see him, don't tell him where I am okay? I'll reach out when I'm ready. I love you Lil."

And Marlene was gone.