part thirty three

Marlene ran into Sirius and James at the fitting shop with three tagalongs. Dora was clinging onto Marlene, holding her hand but when she saw Sirius she ran to hug him. Marlene found herself daydreaming for a moment, about a future with Sirius, and their own little children running around causing the chaos that Charlie currently was. James was running after him smiling at the shopkeeper, suddenly glad it was a Wizarding shop when Dora who was now being held by Sirius changed her hair a vibrant shade of pink making him laugh. Bill was stood beside Marlene, quietly looking around the shop in awe. Marlene knew the Weasleys struggled money wise, though Molly would never say anything she had seen the moment of fear on her face when Marlene had asked to take the boys shopping for new suits. She had quickly reminded Molly that James would be paying, and she was just having fun spending his money.

"McKinnon." Sirius called out, and nodded towards the little girl in his arms, who now had long blonde hair, like Marlene. It took Marlene a moment to notice that her eyes had changed too, to a lighter grey than she knew, but immediately recognised as Sirius'.

"What are you up to you little nutter." Marlene said walking over to the little girl and taking her from Sirius.

"I just wanted to look like you Marley." She smiled sweetly, and James burst out laughing.

"Oh so she's allowed to call you Marley?" He questioned.

"She is five Potter." Marlene reminded him, before putting Dora onto Sirius' back. "Right, we need you two little boys looking very smart." They both stood in front of Marlene in worn clothes, wondering what she meant by smart. They soon found out. "Speaking of.. How are you two doing?"

"We are sorted." Sirius smirked.

Marlene looked at her boyfriend suspiciously. "Okay. I'm going to have to trust you on this one.. I'm leaving the boys with you, Molly knows where they are, don't lose them please. Come on Dora, lets go get you a pretty dress."

The little girl squealed then grabbed Marlene's hand. "What colour?" She started asking, alongside many other questions as Marlene caught Sirius' eye. He mouthed "Hair." At her, confused for a moment Marlene realised she needed to take into account Dora's hair, and what colour she was going to have it.

Marlene wandered out of the shop with the little girl, "So Dora, what is your hair like.. When you don't change it?"

Dora's hair changed to a light brown, and her eyes turned dark, "Its boring though Marley.."

"Marlene looked down at the little girl. But you see, just for today we need you to keep it that colour, just in case Lily's little sister comes."

Dora looked confused. "And if she doesn't?"

"Go wild kid." Marlene grinned.

An hour later they had found Dora a white flower girl dress, with a Lilac bow around the middle, with a little flower crown to 'make her hair more interesting' and a pretty little necklace with a Doe on. Marlene bought 4 others, one for her, Doe, Em, and Petunia if she came.

Marlene called at the manor, where Remus was setting out chairs and hanging fairy lights in the trees and around the house. She found Peter in the kitchen baking a cake, it was chaos. She set Dora on the counter and dropped the bags of clothes and dresses into a bedroom before hanging them up. She sighed catching sight of herself in the mirror. There was a small knock at the door and Sirius made his way in, she stood still facing the mirror, and smiled when she felt his arms slide around her waist.

"I look tired." Marlene commented. Sirius didn't comment but he watched her fliddle with her top, clearly self conscious she then started to mess with her hair and face. He felt an ache in his stomach watching her feel so unhappy. It wasn't a side of Marlene he ever really thought about, but he wondered if he made it worse. He was shocked when he saw a lone tear roll down her check.