part thirty five

After the vows had been said, the party began. Most of their wizarding friends had made the party, but Petunia and Vernon had done a no show, and Marlene knew that Lily was more upset about it than she was letting on.

James and Lily were walking around, speaking to guests drinking their way through the champagne, laughing, smiling, being well and truely in love. Marlene envied them, as she stood sober by the bar, dying for a drink.

Emmeline wandered over, "I invited Mary tonight." She muttered, looking almost as glum as Marlene felt at that moment.

Marlene looked at her friend. "You found her."

"So did you." Em said looking up.

"Em-"

"It's okay. She doesn't love me. I get that now."

Marlene pulled her friend into a hug. "She did once, if that helps."

"It would help if you would get pissed with me." Emmeline joked, handing Marlene a glass of champagne. Marlene raised her glass with Em, 'to James and Lily'.

Emmeline only noticed Marlene turn and spit the champagne back into the glass out of the corner of her eye.

"What are you doing?" She asked frowning, then all at once her eyes widened. She knew. "The test was yours!"

"Shhh!" Marlene said, looking around.

"I thought it was Lily's! Oh my god you're the one that's pregnant!"

"Em, be quiet!" Marlene muttered.

The girls stood in stunned silence for a moment before Em laughed.

"Em this is not funny, what could you possibly be laughing at?"

"Are you and Sirius the most fertile people in the entire world? Or really bad at using contraception? Or a combination? Are you even on the pill? Does he even own condoms?" Em was grinning now, suddenly seeing the hilarity of the situation.

Marlene grinned. "Truthfully?"

Em nodded.

"I never remember to take it. I also can't remember the last time he used a condom.." She said, pulling a face. "Now I think about it.. we probably couldn't have done much more if we were trying to have a baby.."

Em just about fell over, she was laughing so hard tears were streaming down her face, and before long Marlene was joining her, forced to see the funny side. The girls were holding their sides in complete states when Lily came wandering over, after more champagne.

"What on earth is so funny?" She asked, half laughing at the sound of her friends laughs.

"Oh you do not want to know Lils." Em replied.

"I do." Sirus said, announcing himself. "Drinks everyone?" He said, grabbing four glasses and pouring fire whiskey for everyone, Em and Marlene's smiled faded. Em glanced at Marlene, who had paled. He handed the glasses out, and made a toast to 'Prongs achieving his dream'. When their glasses clinked three of the four drank fire whiskey, while Marlene held it in her mouth.

Sirius glared at her suspiciously. "So, Marlene are you enjoying yourself?"

Marlene nodded. Em realised what was going on and burst out laughing before she composed herself quickly. Lily was confused, for maybe the first time she was out of the loop.

"Marlene where is Dora? I havent seen her in a while."

Marlene pointed to the treehouse, where Dora could clearly be seen hanging out of the window waving.