A New Love, Reba

Reba Nell Hart walked down the stairs of her 20+ year Houston home, lugging an oversized suitcase. "BROCK!!!" She yelled "help me with this son of a-" she sees 6 year old Elizabeth at the end of the stair case. "Monkey!" she quickly says, smiling at her granddaughter. When she finally makes it to the bottom she sees Brock leaning against the couch reading the sports column and eating an apple, "thanks for the helping hand, Brock!" She smiles sarcastically.

"Oh sorry there Reba!" Brock says quickly grabbing the luggage and hauling it out to her car, as he starts rambling about some football player that scored a touchdown or something. All Reba could think about was her 4 week vacation! She was chosen as one of the best employees at the agency to go on a month long vacation to Europe! They had surprised her with it just a week ago, at first she said no, but her family somehow convinced her to jump at the opportunity. All the kids were now gathering in the living room to say their goodbyes.

Van was holding Elizabeth and Cheyenne had her hand over her stomach and unborn child, she was about 6 months along now. Reba was so happy for them they finally had their lives straitened out and knew what they were doing...somewhat. She smiled and hugged all 3 of them at the once taking turns giving each a kiss on the cheek, when she got to Cheyennes belly she whispered "don't you pop out while grandma Reba's gone, ya hear?!" Cheyenne smiled and hugged her mom again.

Kyra had been 'touring' with her band they'd just gotten small town smoky bar gigs, she was dating her bass player Mike now, at first Reba disapproved, what with his earrings and Mohawk, but he was a good kid and treated Kyra like a queen. That, Reba liked very much! Reba kissed the top of her head and they said goodbye.

Jake got off his game boy long enough to hug and kiss his mother goodbye, he did look up at her sweetly and say "love you, mom, have a great time" she smiled back "oh I love you too honey!" She said. He quickly added "Oh and bring me something back!" She just smiled

She told Brock to keep an eye on everyone and not to forget about Jakes ball games. He pulled her into a hug, that lasted a little longer than expected, she smiled awkwardly and yelled, "Now where the heck is BJ?!" as she threw her hands in the air and took a step back.

"Here I am!!!" The goofy blonde came strutting in the living room from the kitchen, ever since her career took off she dressed very sophisticated, today she wore a black and gold striped pant suit...which made her look even taller! She wrapped her best friend in a death grip hug, "Barbra Jean...can't breath.." Reba choked out, "oh sorry there buddy!" She straitened Reba's blouse and hugged her again, "enough already BJ!" Reba said. "It's just I'm gonna miss you...so much!" BJ started to get choked up. "Oh come on I'll be back 'for ya know it!!" Reba said with a smile and playfully hit her shoulder.

"Okay y'all I gotta get before the plane takes off without me!" She said as she looked down at her watch, took one last look at everyone and walked out the door.

She only had an hour to get to the airport which was 45 minutes...without traffic! She turned the radio on to her favorite country station and smiled as she headed onto the highway.

Exactly 57 minutes later she was at the airport check in. "9:15 flight to New York?" She asked a young blonde woman. The woman politely pointed to a large sign that read 'NY 9:15' "Ah thanks" Reba nodded and drug her stuff to the waiting area. Five minutes later they called for all passengers, she went through the boarding process, and loaded the plane.

All the seats were full but two...one was next to a older woman knitting, despite the wonderful conversations they could have the broad, dark haired man 3 seats away looked more...appealing, she laughed at herself and walked over to him, "excuse me is this seat taken?" She asked, he looked up at her and grinned, "fortunately it isn't" he said, he patted the seat and she sat down shyly "thanks" she reached out her hand "Reba Hart" she smiled "Narvel Blackstock" he replied and offered his hand.