A New Love 16

It was Reba's day to pick what to do, they'd been here 1 week and so far had been fishing, hiking, golfing, shooting, hiking again, and a little just plain relaxing and movie watching. "Well what are we doing?" Narvel asked impatiently. "Horse back riding" She said slyly. Narvel looked shocked, "Oh come on City-Slicker!" She said patting him on the back then gave him a tender kiss on the cheek where his beard was beginning to show through again. She grabbed his hand and pulled him to the barn where they were able to chose their horses. After looking around Reba found a gorgeous red roan gelding, Narvel found a short, fat, white pony. As he showed Reba his choice she frowned and said "Phssh C'mon, how about this one" she pointed to a tall black mare. He smiled uneasily but agreed.

30 minutes later, with Reba doing most of the work, they were both tacked up and ready to set out. Reba held the mare as Narvel mounted with uncertainty. Reba hoped on with confidence and led them out of the yard and across the field toward a trail they'd been told about.

After a few minutes Narvel finally became comfortable 16 hands above the ground. They talked about the scenery and weather, it was a beautiful day but a storm was slowly and unnoticeably rolling in. Reba and Narvel had a light picnic after a few hours of riding, leaning against a cluster of trees and each other. After there meal Reba didn't get up she just inched closer to Narvel letting her body sink into his, memorizing his rhythmic heartbeat. Narvel softly rubbed her shoulder with his finger tips while lightly kissing the top of her red head.

After remounting and nearly half a mile back on the 5 mile trail a small group of deer emerged from the wooded area and darted across the path, startling both horses. Reba with her many years of experience with bolting, bucking, rearing and plain mischievous horses soon had the riled gelding under control... Narv on the other hand was experiencing a tad more troubles. Reba being too busy dealing with her own 1200 pound horse flesh, didn't see Narvel's unruly dismount. He landed in a mossy patch as his mount galloped away. "ARE YOU OK?!" Reba shouted as she quickly dismounted and came to his side. He rubbed the back of his neck and said "Yeah" she laughed a little after she had realized he was fine. "You're so sincere!" Narvel said sarcastically as he smiled and reached for her extended hand. "Oh I'm sorry darlin'" she said in a pouty voice as she hugged him and patted his back.

Since they still had a ways to go and Narvel's horse was no where in sight, they both mounted the red roan, Reba in front and Narvel close behind, his arms wrapped gently around her waste. 3 miles into the ride home the sky started spitting freezing droplets of water. Reba shivered from the cold wetness, Narvel clung closer to her sharing their heat. At first Reba stiffened at the new closeness but soon softened and welcomed the warmth.

Back at the barn the black mare was standing calmly out of the now pouring rain. They untacked quickly and ran to the "Tavern" where they'd eaten most of their meals and played games like pool and darts on occasion. Inside they shed their wet coats and ordered a hot meal and drinks. There were a few other random visitors lounging about, an old man having a drink to pass the time or a couple playing pool. They sat in a booth to eat while music played in the background and candlelight danced in the corners. As Reba ate Narvel stared at her unable to remove his gaze, she periodically looked at him and smiled nervously or glanced across the room. "You're beautiful" he said as he took her hand in his. She blushed a little but accepted the compliment, "thanks" she smiled with her eyes.

The waiter cleared their empty plates, when he came back he asked if they'd be wanting anything else to drink. They ordered a bottle of wine and a suggested dessert. Soon they'd finished off the red wine so they ordered another as the rest of the occupants of the building disappeared and the music was turned up playing a melodious tune with soft words, barely audible. When the wine ran out they began dancing about the cleared floor steadying each other from any uneasiness the wine may have caused. While many may have said they were somewhat intoxicated by alcohol, it was the love they were drunk on.

Narvel payed the smiling waiter and they ran through the mud and rain to Reba's cabin neither one thinking about anything else but the moment they were in. They burst into the small building escaping the drowsy rain. Inside they held each other close keeping their lips pressed together. Narvel spun around gently pushing Reba against the closed door, letting her pull him closer. She encouraged Narvel's hands to move about freely. Reba parted their lips for a second to utter the words "I love you" three magic words that unravelled the rest of the night.

Narvel woke to red hair surrounding him and a head on his chest. He carefully gathered her hair so as it wouldn't be engulfing him in her flaming locks. Reba stirred but only to pull him closer, he smiled knowing neither one of them would regret or deny what they felt.