A New Love 12

They planned for the long car ride to begin around 11 AM, pack a lunch and get there by 4 PM provided they didn't have any trouble.

Narvel spent the morning staring at the ceiling. He couldn't sleep last night so he spent those sleepless hours packing, and thinking his thoughts never strayed from Reba. Her flaming red hair softly draped 'round her soft face, the huge smile that plastered her face so gracefully and her tear glazed eyes were all etched in his memory at the same time. He knew he'd have to give her time to heal, no matter how much they both wanted each other broken wings take time mend.

All last night Reba had spent thinking about their discussion. Fear and hope flooded her heart all at once, fear that 'goodnight' meant 'goodbye', hope that it meant something more. As it always does the fear outweighed the hope she dreaded that she wasn't good enough or her caution pushed him away.

Reba nor Narvel could deny that they both thirsted for more of each other. Their hunger for each other wouldn't subside no matter how hard they tried somehow all the questions were set aside replaced with something that whispered 'don't give up'.

At 10:45 Narvel approached Reba's door unaware that she was anxiously waiting on the other side. She dismissed all dubiety, as soon as the sharp knock pierced the air she slowly opened the door, and the one who feared the word most the one who refused to say it softly said "I love you" both were stunned by the surprising greeting but without hesitation Reba pulled him in and let their lips find their way to each other. The sweet embrace erased all doubt, sparks flew and the passion grew. The restraint they both showed was undeniably admirable for they didn't take it any further than where they'd already been.

Narvel carried everything out to the truck while Reba finished packing their lunches they got from the hotel kitchen. Their journey began in silence, a peaceful silence that says all is right, something Reba hadn't felt in quite sometime. For awhile all worry all doubt and sadness left her heart. The smile on Reba's face reflected his own happiness, as he griped the steering wheel he glanced at her every chance he got, she was singing along to the sound of a country song coming through the speakers of the small truck. He chuckled, turns out they didn't rent out those 'little cute cars' after all so they were stuck with a small pickup, of all vehicles.

An hour into the trip Reba had propped her head against the door and drifted into a restful sleep. Narvel was overcome with her beauty, just like on the plane the first time he saw her. Little did he know it had been ages since she'd slept so peacefully, usually it'd take hours for her to slip into a still fitful sleep.

After another hour of driving Narvel's sleepless night began to catch up with him till his eyes refused to remain open. He pulled over on the side of the road it was 1 o'clock and they still hadn't eaten so he reluctantly awakened Reba, "Reba, Honey wake up". Reba heard the familiar voice and name but they didn't match, nobody had ever called her honey but Brock yet somehow it sounded right. Her eyes fluttered open to see Narvel digging around in the freezer bag, she straightened herself up and rubbed her eyes, "Mornin'" she said with a smile.

They ate their sub-sandwiches and switched seats, Reba put the small truck in drive with ease and familiarity and once again they cruised along the country highway.