Chapter 1: Happy Endings

I know now, and am pretty sure have known for a year, that I made the right decision coming to Dauntless. I have a wonderful group of friends and ny boyfriend, Tobias, I also kept in touch with Caleb. Mother said that it is always best to forgive family because they will always love you no matter what. Even though Caleb tried to help get me killed. As you know 'mothers know best'.

I only agreed with my mother because she is right. There is another reason but I tend to discard it because it is a rubbish excuse. He is my brother... See it is as bad as it seemed. Anyway, family is family and I only have one member left apart from myself.

Maybe I should go see Tobias. That would be nice. I mean it isn't my day off but Eric let me leave early, like five hours early! I just got through the door and he said I could go. It's weird how nice he actually is to some people, including me. In initiations he was so cruel and hostile. Something smashes in the next room... I pull the gun out from under my pillow, I always have one now, and get off the bed moving towards the noise.

"Shut up... I don't think we can do this here. Tris is asleep in the next room." Tobias growls and looks at the door. Luckly it is only a jar and the lights are off and curtains drawn. I peek through the gap and see... Christina! WHAT? Why would she do this to me? I thought we were friends. Well maybe I was wrong.

"Sorry, maybe I should leave." She says embarrassed by the shattered vase. She is so dead! They both are so dead! "I know Tris will never trust me again if she finds out." She mutters loudly and goes towards the door. She's totally right I will never forgive here and neither would Will. Speaking of Will, I haven't seen him much lately.

"But Christina what about the serum that you were talking to Caleb about?" Tobias asks... Oh, they were just talking about work. But why can't I know unless it is something more then that and they don't even work together or need to have anything work related to do with each other.

"I'll tell you when you are in the control room, when I come to see Will." she replies and the door slams shut. I open the bedroom door and look at him a glare set firmly on my face. He sighs and stares at the ground. If it has something to do with Caleb than it is not good news. Or maybe it is a cover up.

"Tris look, I'm s-" I cut him off, pointing the gun at him. His eyes meet the gun and widen in shock. I can't even control myself right now too much adrenaline in me. I'm so angry.

"Get. Out." I growl clicking the bullet into the chamber. What the hell is wrong with me? "Actually, I'll leave." I say, coming back to my senses and lower the gun, sliding it into my belt before walking off to find Eric and ask what work there is to do. I've never snapped at anyone like that before. Strange...

Work will keep me occupied and distract me from what just happened, right? I turn the corner near Eric's and crash into someone, the impact causes me to slip but before I even have the chance to colide with the ground I am being held tightly to someone's strong chest. My eyes glance up to find that I had walked into Eric. Just the person I wanted to see.

"You okay?" He asks simpily. I nod yet the tears in my eyes say otherwise. "I know you are lying to me." He said whilst bringing his hands to my face. My cheeks heat up from contact. I mean what is the difference between now and work. Eric has hugged me before... We became close friends after the argument I had with Christina about Tobias a couple weeks ago. Also it was a good idea because we will be working together all the time as well and what is worse then working with someone you don't get on with? Nothing could really be any worse then that. Sometimes it is better having a friend who is scary it gets you things quicker.

Well what happened was she had been spending way too much time with him, like even more than me... His girlfriend, she said that it is to do with work and that in her own words 'to be honest we enjoy each others company' When she told me that I felt like punching her in the face but we are friends again, but after that we were never as close as we used to be. Dwelling on that thought and those times causes the tears to tumble down my face falling onto Eric's hands.

"Come with me," he whispered into my ear before bringing me back into his chest, "please don't cry." his quiet words are soft and comforting. Eric is never, since the day I had met him, ever been comforting, I mean working with him he has been funny, excited, kind but never caring or comforting.

"Eric, why are to being so caring?" I ask curiously. He just smiles and keeps an arm around my shoulder as he leads me to the his apartment. As soon as the door is close he turns me towards him.

"Tris, the reason I am like this towards you is because I like you, as a friend, and I have done for a while now, but you are with Four and as you can tell he hates my guts." He says standing me besides him. I pull at my ponytail tightening and stare up at him.

"Yeah... anyway I came to just cool down and get some work done, so do you have anything I can do?" I say as my arms fold. I don't think I can tell him what happened just yet.
"Ok well Tris we have to go to the gate to sort out a few things. This means we will be staying in amity for a week almost." He tells me as he moves to point at his bags. He has like six bags, that is more than I will ever need.
"Damn why do you need so many bags."
"Yeah I have everything I need for every event imaginable." He exclaims pointing to the bags. What so like everything?
"So even if some crazy hippy chick tries to kill you with love and kindness?" I question jokily and he smiles.
"I'm prepared to die a happy man than." He says wriggling his eyebrow. "Unless you want to make me a happy man right now?" He pokes my hip laughing lightly. If he wants to joke than I'll joke.
"What the hell? So you thought that you could bring me over and do that because I am upset and cannot think properly! Fuck you and your assignment, you can go alone!" I scream as angrily as I can. His face drops and now he looks panicked.
"No Tris I didn't mean it. It was a joke." He gets out hastily and watches my face. I giggle a slightly giving myself away. "You were pulling my leg." He says grabbing my waist. I nod and he hoists me into the air then slings me over his shoulder.
"Put me down!" I scream hitting his back. He ignores me and starts to walk back out of his and along the way we just came from.
"Shit girl, you got some serious curves under this baggy stuff." He says as I give up on escape and sway with my arm propped up on his back.
"And what? It has nothing to do with you if I have curves." I growl. He hears my tone and squeezes my legs more making me wince.
"It's just nice that this Ex stiff doesn't have a boring body under the boring clothes." He says again in a teasing manner. "Anyway you need to pack a bag because we are going in two weeks. Clothes are provided in Amity." He says and we end up ouytside of my apartment. He sets me down and I open the door with my key.