Doubts on a Conscious Mind

Eric's POV:  

Four's truck pulls out if the drive. Good riddance! The sick fuck has probably gotten Tris wrapped around his finger. I can see she has conflicted feeling about him, which is understandable because he did cheat on her. Some times I get the feeling that it has another reason. He's probably going back to one of his affairs right now.  She is too good for him. Do you think your any better? My conscience snaps. I would probably treat her better than him, but I know I'm a sadistic bastard.

I get up from my chair and throw down my pen in a careless way and head to the kitchen starving. As I walk down the final step I glance around the open living space. Uriah is probably in his room. My eyes sweep the room to find Tris sitting in the kitchen area eating an apple. Her own eyes stay on a silver, red ribboned book placed neatly on the table. I need some food, but I want to know if Tris is alright. My stomach growls at me due to my decision. She turns the cover slowly flicking a few of the pages and stops. I inch closer hoping to stay undetected.
What it that Tris?
She smiles, tears fill her eyes breaking out of the banks. I sneak closer again and see a photo. A photo of  Tris and Four. Tris asleep on him and it looks like the train wall in the background. Some small writing is scribbles beside it but I cannot read if from this distance. I take another step my eyes wonder to Tris as her burning gaze catches mine. I quickly act casual and open the fridge taking out the milk.  Shit!

"So, Tris what is that book?" I asks as she snaps it shut and glares. Mood swings much, duoes she really not want me to know? We talk about almost very thing but lately I feel like she's been hiding things from me.

"It is- Four gave it to me. I feel like I've made a mistake." She tells me, her voice drained from all happy positive thoughts and feelings. I turn and lean against the counter. "I told Four I love him." She breaks down into even more tears and her body hiccups as she cried. She said she loved him. My heart breaks at that very moment. Loves him. Why did she say it was a mistake? Am I the reason?

"Why was it a mistake?" She shakes her head and wipes away her tears I the sleeves of the beige sweater.

"I think I'm in love with y-someone else." She mumbles and turns to the book. "But then Four does something like this and I get confused." Her voice so small it sounds almost fragile. I push off the kitchen side and stand right in front of her. My hands go to her waist. I know she was going to say me. I don't want to question why she stopped herself. Unless she wasn't ready to say it.  Tris' eyes watch mine the twinkled like melted silver. The blue speckles remind me of rain droplets. I tilt her head a little higher and bring my lips down on hers. I feel like I've been electrocuted. I think I'm in love with her, no I already know I'm in love with her. 

"We need to keep this a secret from everyone until situation involving Four have cleared. Tris I'm not going to ask you to be my girlfriend, yet. However, I want you to know that I love you too." I says and she giggles. Her bruise face is healing gradually but I notice that there are three faded makes near her hairline. If I'm not mistaken they almost look like fingers. Did he do this to her? I don't war to say encase she gets angry at me. That sick fuck!

"Tris, you and Pedrad can do what you want I'll finish up the reports and visit wherever I need to go and we'll be able to relax before we head back to compound in a couple days time." I tell her, knowing that if I can influence her to say no to Four then she will be all mine. She kisses my lips and my cheeks, working her way from my jaw to the base of my neck tauntingly slow drawing out all my sense. I hum and it reverberates in my throat. "Mmm..." She giggles pulling away from me.  She stands in my grasp but she just watches my face taking it in for a second. She is so cute.

"Eric you won't hate me will you... If I don't choose to be with you?" She asks innocently. Her voice hinted to the worry and concern she has whenever I become enraged. I will try not to because I know that she never wants to see me unhappy or angry. I nod taking one hand from her waist and drawing a cross over my heart with my index finger. She smiles and kisses me swiftly. I grin into the kiss. All I can think of is that I am a very lucky man.

She is so different from all the other girls in dauntless. She's kind, and smart, and brave, and caring. Thinking about her being all of those at once scares me. What if she is a Divergent? I don't know if I will be able to protect her if she is. If we had a family would they be Divergent if she was? I would lay down my life to secure the chances of Tris living but if she was Divergent than there is almost nothing that I can do. First thing I need to worry about is getting her away from Numbers. If the bruise and his 'moods' match up then my suspicion is correct and he did hit her. If it is true that he abused her than I will end his life. In my eyes he is already a sick bastard for even cheating on Tris.

"Hey, where'd you go?" Her angelic voice beckons me back to reality. The pads of her fingertips brush against the stubble on my chin. My face tingles on contact and I sigh. God! She is the only woman capable of making me feel love. This feeling is different from any I have had before. She is the first person I would lay my life down for. I'm just grateful she is in my life.

She is a rarity. A diamond in the rough.