Chapter 4: Memories

Loretti.

The school bell rang with the stupidest melody I had ever heard. I didn’t know if the odd bell in previous local school, which pierced my ears was any better than this one. Anyway, I gathered my things in the locker, and pushed the light wooden door. I didn’t bother to lock it since I had lost the keys. I was pleased that no one dared to steal in this private school, apart from the first or second of April when everyone made useless pranks, which I loathed.

My classmates gathered around the locker section near the door, which was obviously closed and any minute had to be opened from inside by the teacher.

"Hey Luna” I took my heavy cell phone out of my pocket and handed to my best friend. She pushed her bangs aside; dark brown hair hung like the curtain in my house that restricted light to pass through it. “Video”-I instructed before taking care of my mission, which consisted of teasing guys who were desperately writing their unfinished homework.

“Hey man” I called my friend attempting to distract him, morally conceivable.

He didn’t spare a second to look at me, and swore under his breath. The boy, the tallest guy in my school, 'bag of bones' I usually called him. He often wore his glasses assuming he was a genius, moreover, proud of wearing them. But nerd he wasn’t, he tried to be.

While I giggled at the response, someone hit my butt lightly with a paper stick. Irritated, I glanced around, absorbing the atmosphere: A girl nagging a guy and vice versa, countless shouts, laughs, many were struggling to write last sentences, when the second “warning” bell rang.

Click and the door opened. Students poured into the class like a herd of sheep. But these sheep weren’t as pure as they might have looked at a first sight, most of them were wolves covered in sheep’s skin. They all went to their usual seats, which were mostly at the back of the classroom.

Luna handed me the phone with the wink and a smile. I unzipped my pencil case and hid the cell inside before entering the class.

We both spotted our empty desks with chairs bonded together near the teacher’s table. Front seats were perfect to see the blackboard and it was biology class, so clearly, way better to be in the front to hear the man’s barely audible voice over the noise that have already started.

Mr. Ashdown strode down the classroom, turning the next page of the book with a green cover and a ridiculous cartoon on it.

"Reproduction?”- As the words travelled through the room, every person turned his or her head, full attention on what had been said.

Loud clamor was heard from the back, the joy in his voice. “Yay!”

Oh no, I thought.

“Reeeepppproduction! Greaaaatt!!!!”- A girl whistled.

“No! Come on, guyz” I growled and turned to my classmates. “What’s so interesting about it?”

“Don’t you want to leeeeaaarnnnnn about it?”- Teasing grin escaped her lips, eyes sparkling wickedly.

“No” was my answer. This topic, I held some knowledge of it, but to share with these guys? Not happening. I couldn’t learn anything during the lesson with all the boisterousness; now the remarks in addition to the noise. I shook my head.

Protests came after, shouting one after another.

Luna and I exchanged looks, deciding on something.

“Please, sir” With puppy eyes, we both sent our innocent expressions.

He glanced, considering the two of us. Two of his students who came the day before the exam, asking as many possible questions.

“Ok, page 589, next chapter….” He announced at last.

“No”- disappointment swept throughout the space.

Yes, I smiled, turning happily the pages. The book in my hands suddenly jerked off, flying across the class to the darkest corner, disappearing in it.

At once books came flying in my direction, yells got louder with each passing minute. I ducked in time and missed various things that were caught up in the wind.

There was a deep laugh coming from behind my back, and my hair stood on its end. I failed to catch the intruder of the dream, of the blissful memory as I spun around.

I sensed the burning gaze upon me. Someone watched me intensely, enjoying the very moment of my panic.

“Found you”. A shiver traveled down my spine. I tried to move, to run away, but couldn’t lift a finger much less to end the chaos.

Two muscular arms hugged me from my back, holding me tightly against the hard surface of the body, which felt freezing as a stone in a cave. I cried out as the tongue of the stranger slid down my throat leaving a hot unfamiliar sensation.

I gasped, eyelids fully open. Looking around, pleased to see my pinky room, I got up.

Pushing the curtains aside, I wasn’t happy with the morning light, which pierced my eyes, making them shut yet again. Adjusting to the view outside, hearing the birds chirping here and there, I walked back to the bathroom.

After having a shower, I toweled dry my long chocolate hair. With the help of hair-drier and a brush, I completely got rid of the wetness, turning my locks into straight and beautiful. I added volume to my hairstyle that I knew wouldn’t last long.

Applying the black liner on my almond shaped eyes, which followed after neutralizing my skin with foundation with a shade a tone lighter than my skin color, I went to the wardrobe section. Opening the door wide, I was surprised to see my clothes still hanging here, without any dust collecting them. Smiling, I ran through the outfits, deciding what to wear on this beautiful sunny day.

A Navy blue T-shirt caught my eye. I pulled it over my head and pushed it down over my fancy laced bra and black unties. I paired it up with my favorite pair of jeans, which were of stretchy grey denim and accessorized it with black leather platform pumps. I regarded myself ready. Inspecting myself in the mirror, a rash caught my attention.

What the... ?! I searched any chiffon scarf of sky blue to cover it.

My silver ring and the delicate watch on my wrist shimmered as they came in contact with the sunlight. I hurried downstairs as my stomach growled noisily.

The doors of dinning hall opened and the sweet scent of bread, butter and freshly squeezed juice rushed past me. I hoped I didn’t drool over the place and wasn’t making myself look like an idiot standing completely still, absorbing the delicious smell.

Luisa and Michael smiled in unison; Luisa stood, beckoning me to join them.

“Good morning little ones” I smiled, showing my teeth, clearly happy to see both of them.

Ohayo” replied Luisa.

“ ’Am not little-“ Michael frowned when I giggled.

“Yes, Yes” Not wanting to argue, I sat opposite of these two.

After moments of silence, I asked, out of curiosity, “Um…Where are others?”

“If the young lady is soooo into my brother, you could take a peek while he's sleeping” Luisa winked.

Her words made my heart skip; I had to hold the temptation. I heard myself chuckle like I always do, turning anything into another funny joke “Luisa, I didn’t mean Christopher only”

“Oh…”I saw the excitement in her eyes as it vanished as fast as it had come.

“Uncle visited a few days ago and left abruptly leaving Edward in the castle. Therefore, the cousin should be eating with us now. Strange, I haven’t seen him today…” Thinking of an explanation of Edward’s absence, Michael spaced out.

“I will find him, then” Standing up, I picked up some cookies, covering them with a napkin in one hand and in the other I held orange juice.

Hasta luego” Luisa’s cheerful voice raced across the room.

See you, the words gradually lit up my mood.