Chapter 5: Mr. Jealousy

Loretti.

Heading towards Edward’s room that wasn’t far from Chris, I knocked on the door with an invisible hand, which I created seconds ago and imagined it to open the door. The door, without much resistance, swung wide open before me, luring me into the bedchamber.

Ed sat with his head in his hands. He looked up as I called his name. His pale face lacked the lush color of blood.

Vision. Oh God, why so difficult on him?

I made him eat all the cookies and helped him gulp down the juice.

After I pulled the sheets over him, he gripped my arm. “Stay, please”

His weary eyes made me sad, so I nodded.

Putting the soft pillow behind my back, Edward used his chance to carefully place his head onto my lap. I heard him snore as my hands ran through his hair, like patting a vulnerable puppy.

***

“Lara” I turned towards the voice of my best friend.

“Hey, Luna. You going back home?”

“Yea. Have to be home by six. If we go now and take out some snacks and drinks, the effort would be appreciated”

“Hot chocolate and sandwiches?”

“You got that right girl”

Chatting so long with my best friend, felt great. We took a take out from Italian restaurant, while evaluating boys who passed across our vision, rating them from one to ten as girls usually did. Fantasizing sheepishly of what could be changed or if muscles were needed. And most of them really required some. Then we saw a guy poking his arm, beckoning his friend to touch his 'so-called' muscle, which probably didn’t feel right; he probably on he those liquids, which made muscles grow. We cracked some jokes and couldn’t stop our laughing selves until my house came into view.

After searching both pockets of my coat, I found the house key. Opening the gate, I stumbled across my dog that leaned on me, giving me a hard time balancing myself.

Betty licked my face as I tried to make her leave me.

She barked happily and ran to the garden.

“Why am I not surprised, huh?” Luna shrugged.

“What do you mean?”

“Betty’s behavior so much like yours”

“Yea, and I go around licking everyone’s faces, so much as Betti” I couldn’t help to roll my eyes.

“At least not outsiders”

“At least not outs-Hey!” I giggled as Luna started another round of laughs.

Together we decided to stay outside, in the garden, sipping our hot chocolate peacefully, which was warm and getting colder. After finishing all the tuna sandwiches, we were about to hand some to Betty when I caught the dog stiffen.

“Betty?”

She didn’t bark nor turn to look back at us

“What’s wrong sweetie?” I walked to her side, completely confused by the attitude.

Luna came behind me; she patted the dog and froze.

“Luna... Luna!”

She just stood, her eyes glossy staring at the golden fur of Betty.

“Luna, answer me, please” The dog was already freaking me out, and Luna acting the same wasn’t the best combination.

She seemed to hear me at last, and thoughtfully stroked the fur, as if calming herself.

“Talk to me” I insisted.

She cleared her throat, pointing with her index finger at the space of the back garden, which didn’t give me any clues.

“There… there is something… I don’t know- luring…” Her voice trailed off.

“O-ok, Luna, everything is fine, there is nothing. Don’t worry. No spiders, nothing creepy” At least I hope there wasn’t.

She shook her head “No, It doesn’t call me nor Betty. Lara, do you remember telling me that you have been waking up in the middle of the night lately?”

I nodded, and she continued, grateful I hadn’t denied, “You find yourself looking through the window staring at the backyard, am I right?”

‘‘Yes, so you’ve solved my mystery?” I smirked.

Luna didn’t find it amusing, “Lara, I’m not lying to you, you know that,” She pointed with her thumb, not turning herself into that direction. Studying my expression, she moved on “That’s what magnetized you”

I was confused to ask more of her explanation when she came up with the clarification, “I touched Betty and saw the pictures-no, more like a video passing through my eyes. At times speeding, and goes back slowly. It’s like a cinema, when you sit and watch, -“

“How do you know something wants me? And calls me every night? You can’t be sure!”

She sadly denied my words waving her hand in the air, “ I am not telling you what happened just now, I –“

“Don’t tell me-“ Realization clouded my mind as the horror came after.

“Yes, here and now I saw Betty standing in a yard, then going back to your room as you stood watching the place where the dog growled moments ago. It was-“

“-two days ago. Oh my god! What should I do? What is there?” My hands started to tremble.

She hugged me tightly, and the words of reassurance swept through the space. Betty joined us, whining at the thought of me disappearing.

Destiny.

***

The door slammed loudly enough to wake me up. I scanned the room, quizzed of the noise.

“What the hell?” an angry voice, loud and clear rumbled across the room like an acid fusing over a reactive metal.

“What's the fuss about?” Growled Edward sleepily, rubbing his eyes with his fingers.

“Would you, puuuh-lease, try to be quieter next time you disturb my nap?” Not resisting the sarcasm in my tone.

“There won’t be a next time!”

Then I remembered where I was, who slept on my lap and made sure my legs wouldn’t move.

I circled my temples, pleading the furious prince to calm down “Chris, you are not in your right mind” I knew I should have thought before saying the sentence, as the result the room went abnormally cold. My tongue - my enemy.

I pushed my element into action, so not going to step out of this battle.

“Hey! Guyz, stop! Play your games somewhere else, not in my room!” Edward insisted.

I stood up, peering into Chris’s eye that turned silver blue. His long eyelashes frozen.

What a stubborn idiot!

Something flickered across his face, the opposite element forced mine out and the minute Chris gripped the throat of his cousin.

My hand instantly touched my now bare neck.

Jesus!

“Stop!” I shouted, “Please stop!”

He didn’t.